Chapter 9

|| Chapter 9 ||

The snow had crushed down most of the reeds, but they were springing back up from their wintery shelter the more the snow started to melt yet again. The newly named leader slid through the dawn-light and towards the towering cat-tails that enclosed the camp protectively. As she pushed through, the dark feline's gaze was on the ground but quickly lifted to have her halt in surprise. RiverClan were out of their dens, all seated in two lines with a path between them. Most were oblivious to her at the moment, but fortunately Koitail was being attentive. She hurried over with a smile to greet her. "It's just a bit of a tradition," she mewed quietly and quickly elaborated the process of what was to happen before she darted off once more.

Now, the clan was perking back up as they'd taken notice of her return. The dark cat felt her paws go cold, and it wasn't because of the snow. Taking a deep breath, she collected herself and padded forwards down the line up. As she passed each cat, they bowed their heads, creating a rippling, wave-like appearance. As she reached the end and turned around to face them, standing in front of the willow tree's long tresses, she paused. While the marshland warriors moved into more of a group now, Koitail reached up to place a woven crown made of small shells, small flowers, and some downy feathers. Her nerves twisted within her. Taking a deep breath, the newly made leader would address the clan for the first time.

"RiverClan...I speak to you now, as Nightstar. I confirm to you StarClan has presented me with my nine lives and approved my leadership over the cats of the river. And I promise you this– I will lead RiverClan with all my strength and loyalty. I will protect and give all my lives to this clan, and with every beat of my heart and every breath I take, I will do everything for the sake of RiverClan. My birthplace may not have been within these camp walls, but as you took me in, I was reborn. I feel, in a way, that I've been made better because of it – of you. And though I have much more to learn, I am grateful and ever so honored to be able to do so here...I'm at home with all of you. Thank you," she finished with a softened mew, bowing her head. "For everything..."

It was silent for a few beats. And then, "Welcome home, Nightstar."

Nightstar's eyes opened and she peered up to see Minnowstep had nudged his way to the front of the pack. The dark tabby started to smile, and it only grew as her clanmates began to echo him, their faces much more warm and welcoming now. (With the exception of a stubborn few, but that's not the point.) Koitail purred softly and beamed at the new leader. "Welcome home, Nightstar. I look forward to working with you."

"Thank you. And I, you," she mewed before nodding to the collected crowd, dismissing them. Turning, she ducked through the draping leaves that reached the ground and glanced around the spacious canopy. She curiously stepped, spinning slowly as she gazed upward and around, and then paused. Lowering her nose, she found the trunk of the tree had a hollow she'd somehow missed. Sniffing at it, she padded forwards and found her nest moved from the warriors den. With a gentle purr, Nightstar moved further in without hesitance and curled up in her nest, exhaustion claiming her to sleep. For about a moon, or a little less than, Nightstar led RiverClan in a bit of a secretive fashion from the other clans. Even when they reached out to aid ThunderClan in a rat attack, she kept her identity to herself.

It nearly slipped one sunset, however, as she was pacing the familiar creek a bit distractedly after an attempted hunt and of course, failure. Her chest, paws, and muzzle were damp with water because of it. She'd let her gaze venture out into the pine trees out ahead, absentmindedly reminiscent. Then, a particular stern voice called out in warning, "Don't get any ideas, water cat, you keep your gaze and yourself on your own territory."

Her gaze quickly flickered over to the gray tom. Her eyes widened slightly as her stride paused. Huh...isn't that...Cinderstorm? The tom was fully grown now – a pure warrior through and through, but still...so much like how she remembered him. At the moment, he didn't seem to recognize her, appearing only to note she was a RiverClan cat. After her brief pause, she suddenly grinned softly and chuckled as she strode on along the bank. "Oh, hush, sweetheart. I'm much further from the border than you. I'd say I'd have far more reason to be concerned," she retorted. Even if this wasn't combat, she used what she knew to try and keep him at bay. Getting inside their heads. Muttering something under her breath, she went on. "Speaking of which, lovely, I'd appreciate it if you didn't hunt so close to our border. It's quite rude," she mewed, flicking her tail in an almost haughty way.