Chapter 8-Meeting with the exes

*Heather's POV*

I haven't really seen Gary in months. I'd expect our first meeting to be hostile but it wasn't. The old me would have probably ran away crying. I mean—he changed. The more I looked into his greenish hazel eyes, I saw Penelope and Logan. I loved this man, he was everything. And I had to admit, he looked daring today. Even in the evening, I could see his eyes glistening, his hair seemed to be darker as it was combed back. I'm not surprised he dyed it dark black. Macy might of convinced him since he had an excessive amount of grey hair. But he looked amazing. Even seeing me with Mason, he still had that smile that made me fall in love with him in the first place. Standing beside Macy, honestly made him a lot more attractive. They were a beautiful couple.

I still hated her though

Still having that precious smile, Gary said "girlfriend? You guys are here together?" he asked. The guy couldn't even keep a steady eye contact with me. His eyes were directed to Mason. My poor Mason looked already bored. "You look familiar, have we met?" My ex husband continued, letting go of Macy to analyze Mason as if it would make any difference.

Mason just shrugged before shaking both of their hands "I have no idea" he lied then nodded over at me "do you know these people?"

When I was about to respond, Macy interrupted "yes she does. We are family. How are you Heather?" She said attempting to give me a hug but I acted like I didn't see it "yeah, Gary is my ex-husband and Macy is the girl he left me for"

All there faces fell and honestly, I didn't care. Being here with Mason, made all the anxiety I felt with Gary just disappear. And besides, I wanted to leave before he picks up who Mason really was. Knowing him, he would need more evidence on how unfit of a mother I am.

"Heather..." Gary started

Mason let out a chuckle "well, if that's true then I would love to thank you"

"Oh?" Gary asked

Mason held me closer, not taking his eyes off of me for a second "yeah. She's everything I want. Everything I need. I can't imagine ever losing her." He fell silent before whispering "I love her"

I felt my face burn. I didn't expect any man to say they loved me after Gary. I was always insecure, but here Mason was, just saying it loosely. Is it possible to love that fast?

I glanced at the couple; Gary looked slightly uncomfortable, but Macy looked intrigued "well, then hopefully you will be apart of our family."

My eye twitched.

"What's your name? What do you do for a living? How did you two meet?" She continued. It was as if Mason was a famous actor and she was an obsessed fan trying to get as much information as possible.

I grabbed his arm "we should probably go inside, it's getting chilly" I whispered desperately trying to get out of this situation. But Mason didn't budge. He fixed his tux and proudly said "Call me M, and Heather and I met at the beach..."

"How romantic" Macy responded. I could tell it was fake just by how she grinned.

"I graduate next year from Stanford University. I want to follow my grandfathers footsteps in becoming a police officer, and probably continue my education to become a lawyer just like my father"

Macy looked impressed but Gary didn't even flinch "you're still in college?"

"Yeah, but if I were to drop out now, I'd probably be okay."

Macy took a short glance of his car "Are you a millionaire?"

She's thirty but has a mindset of a teenager. How does Gary deal with such an airhead?