Celebration

There he was. Sitting across the hall at the table. You loved the man but it was hard, to simply watch him like that. Talking as if you didn't exist, as if your feelings didn't exist. Your eyes shined however for a moment in the dull listless mist of self doubt, confusion and hurt. He was talking to her. You couldn't help but wonder their relationship, how they laughed and smiled when together, it made your gut wrench. You took a deep breath, tried not to let the emotions show upon your stoic face and simply started to eat. "Just a little jealous, are we?" Aela. She always seemed to know how to push your buttons. Looking up to her confident eyes you shook you head.

"What are you talking about?" There was a tiny grunt from your lips.

"I am talking about Farkas talking to her, all the time." She took a seat next to you.

"Okay. So now's the part where you tell me why I should care." Aela shook her head.

"I've been around you enough to know when you're sweet on a girl." She took a drink. You glanced to your brother before looking back to Aela. "Or are you going to say I'm way off?"

"I know better than to say you're wrong." You chuckled before sighing softly. Your eyes went to her. She was laughing with Farkas, it brought a smile to your lips. "She's so happy." You stood up, before shaking your head. "I'm going to go train."

As you stood up, Alea looked to you. "It's dark..."

"Yes. We're good at seeing in those conditions." You chuckled before walking from the table, to the door. The air was fresh, so sweet as you made your way to the end of the patio. Folding your arms over your chest you leaned on the wooden support, looking up into the sky. You smiled softly, thinking about her. After a moment you heard the door close behind you. You pushed off the support, turning to see her, in her dress with two mugs.

"Hi..." She spoke so sweetly, her eyes staring at you, a smile tugging on her lips. "You left so quickly. You know that party is for us, right?"

"Yeah... well I think it's for you more than me. You were amazing, the only reason we got him back alive." You watched the light dusting on her cheeks. She held out one of the mugs to you, still smiling. The woman was flattered, you could tell.

"Yeah, well maybe less of me than you think. I did step on a few pressure plates, without you I wouldn't have made it out." You took the mug, her hand warming your own, her delicate fingers dancing over your skin. You looked into her eyes, before realizing that you were staring. You coughed, then buried your nose into the mug, taking a long drink. The ale was sweet, but her voice was sweeter. "My hero..."

You coughed, pulling the mug down, hitting your chest then looking at her. "Ex.. excuse me?"

She took in a deep breath, smiling a little deeper. "I said... you're my hero. I know I shouldn't prop you up. Idealize you. It's hard not to. You're frankly amazing." She took a drink, her eyes on you still. You rubbed the back of your neck. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you feel-"

"No." You waved your hand before her for a moment. "Don't apologize. It feels good to be thought of like that. It's a big title to live up to, though." You watched her smile softly. The sight that you would never tire of seeing.

"You have nothing to live up to, Vilkas." She placed her hand on your arm, squeezing your muscle for a moment. "Just be who you are. Vilkas..." Your name on her lips sent tingles down your spine. "You are my hero, without even trying."

You looked into her eyes. "You don't have to be this nice to me, you know."

"I'm not just being nice." She smiled softly, tapping the side of the mug. "Vilkas... I..." She took a moment, before looking back into your eyes. "Thank you, is all. I just...." She took a soft breath. "I feel so safe with you."