Romeo and Juliet

It was a long week. A very long week. You huffed as you hauled a backpack full to the gates of Whiterun. You were starting to wonder if you should hire a mercenary to help you on adventures like this. It started off as a simple job from Vilkas, Forsworn were tough and had a lot of interesting things. It was hard not to delve into the cave they set up in, which happened to lead to old ruins of dwarven nature. Had you known this would take a week, had you known you'd have to camp out in old ruins you might have asked one of them to come, though they did have their own plates full. Still, you managed to send the mage back to the college. The thought of it all made you smirk, knowing how far you went on your own, just how much you've grown. Though, the fact that you're now wearing heavy armor- even capable of wearing it, spoke volumes. You still preferred your bow, but had gotten used to a two handed weapon, with excellent training from Vilkas. Who, by the way, didn't seem to mind spending copious amounts of time with you, even took you out of a few dates since the first in the last few months. Sometimes you had even gone to his room in the middle of the night, you both were up for a long while simply talking with books out on his bed. You'd fallen asleep once comfortably on his pillow, only to wake up in your own bed with a dragon tongue on your chest.

You had walked past Arcadia's, slowly pulling the bag behind you, more like dragging it. You sighed softly. There was a voice you couldn't quite focus on, or one you might have ignored from the bustle of the market square. After a moment, another hand picked up the other strap of your pack. You looked up to see a young woman in common clothes. It looked like she came from the mare. You'd never seen her before, surprisingly. She offered you a soft smile. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you. You're [Y/N], right? A companion. My father tells us stories of you guys sometimes. You're the one who enchants, right?"

"Yes..." You paused. "Forgive me, your father?"

"Eorlund."

"Oh!" You stood up straight. "You're Olfina. He mentions you often. That must be why I never see you, you take the day shifts at the Mare, right?" She nodded slowly. "Well that's something. A young woman with aspirations."

"Yes. I've been trying to save money. Father says he sees a lot of similarities between us, only you're better with a bow than I could hope to be."

"I don't know about that. It's all on what you do, right? My family... well I can't rely on them at all. I was forced to protect myself. I never found someone to share my life with when I was there with them. No one able to take me in and protect me. No one I actually fell in love with. So I had to learn, to be my own woman."

"Love?" Olfina helped pull the backpack up a few stairs. "So you are seeking love as well..." You looked to her with a soft smile.

"Actually- it's early to tell but I think I may have found it. V... Vilkas. How I've missed him this last week, it's made me think more. A lot more. I've known him for about 8 months. I'm falling for him. Even still I would be happy just knowing he's well and cared for. But he has kissed me, brought me flowers... I never thought I'd be on this side of romance, especially when I moved to Skyrim."

"So you're allowed to show affections. That must be nice."

You stopped on the stairs, looking to her with a bit of interest. "Oh..."

"What?"

"You aren't looking for love, you've already found it." You watched her blush, shake her head and look at you. "Well, that sure was convincing. Come on. The only redeeming quality I had before meeting the people of Jorrvaskr were my people skills. I can read people most of the time. They way you said that told me that it isn't new love either. And he likes you back. So what's the problem?" She shook her head again, looking to you.

"You're close to my father and uncle. I can't."

You took a moment, before your eyes widened slowly. "Oh my... it's a Battle-born..."

"What?" She snorted before waving it off. "Noooo."

"Convincing." You twisted your lips. "It's alright. It's not my information to tell. I wouldn't, I couldn't." You chuckled. "Besides, I know a lot about hiding things from your family." You shook your head before you both started to haul your pack up once more. "I would never dash your hopes or dreams. Especially not if you feel the way I do. I would mention that I'd not let my family dictate how I feel. I'm not telling you to run away like I did or anything..." You shook your head. "But maybe it doesn't always have to be like this, yeah?" You caught her eyes. "I'm not going to promise anything, I can't. I just have hope that one day this stupid war will be over. It affects me less now, but it was the reason I am here in the first place. I have hope that your families will patch things up, no matter what the outcome is."

"Me too."

"In the meantime... I have a solution." You paused. "It won't be easy, I can't do it alone. Save up more gold, I have some saved up for my table, but the others are going to pay for it. I'm going to do what I can to make myself invaluable around here. They'll offer me land within Whiterun."

"But you live at Jorrvaskr..."

"Yes. I also don't plan on moving. But I've noticed that small rundown house next to the blacksmith. Buying it might take some time but it's possible. Wouldn't be so bad for me to have a place to store things like this. If people happen to break in... well that's alright as well. It's not like I sleep there, this is just stuff, not my life. It's not like I'd be there for long, even if it was my home, right? I mean... I already have a bed and a family to go home to." Olfina smiled softly.

"Father was right, you are clever."

"Or just an idealist." You looked up the stairs to the hall, unable to help but smile warmly. The very sight was a great comfort to you, breathing out happily. "Thank you Olfina. It's nice to be welcomed back at home with a friendly face. I love my companions but they are usually far too busy..." You looked to her.

She blinked. "Well, you're welcome but I don't think you're right this time." She pointed to the door of the hall. It had swung open, Vilkas took a few steps out into the light. You looked up to him, a little surprised.

His eyes were wide, full of concern as he shuffled down the stairs. "By Ysmir, you're back. We got word from the college, as well as payment but I didn't hear from you. We had figured... Feared."

"The worst...?" He hit the landing in front of you.

"I'm going to go. It was nice to meet you." Olfina waved, you nodded to her before turning back to Vilkas.

"Well... yes." He chuckled for a moment. "You were gone four days longer than it should have taken." He placed his hands on either side of your waist, pulling you closer. "I was worried." He looked into your eyes.

"I didn't mean to worry you."

He smiled softly, placing his hand on your cheek. "I know. [Y/N]... Let's get you inside. I'm sure you've not slept in an actual bed in a while. We'll get you some real food, then help you unwind." You smiled, he was taking care of you without your asking. "We'll read a little, just relax downstairs. I'm sure you have lots you want to tell me. You have that look on your face like you can't keep it all in." He watched your mouth hang open for a moment before laughing lightly. "I like that look." He let his hands drop off of you. "Come on." He lifts the pack without a problem, escorting you in.