A Remedy to Cure All Ills P2

Merlyn was still Edwin's servant for the time being which, she supposed, wasn't terrible. It beat mucking out the horses. She was curious, she had to admit: his equipment was foreign, so different to Gaius'. If she were honest, she had absolutely no idea how any of it worked.

"Edwin?" she knocked on his door, waiting for an answer. When none came, she eased it open, wandering towards the table containing the different instruments. Like a child, she spun some of the golden objects, lifting the lid on random pots to reveal fine powders, none of which were anything like the herbs in Gaius' storage. She paused at the sight of a simple box, wooden, out of place with the grandeur of the other machinery. Itching to quench her curiosity, she examined it, feeling a strange pulse through her fingertips, as if it contained something resembling magic. Opening the box, she found hundreds of beetles, all of them laying still, seemingly dead. She read the inscription, not particularly surprised to see words in the old religion. She knew she shouldn't, but it was too tempting, too peculiar.

"Bebiede þe arisan ealdu."

Reopening the box, her eyes widened as she stared at the moving creatures, each of them much more alive than they had been a moment before.

"Very good." Edwin smiled somewhat condescendingly, appearing unfazed. Merlyn turned quickly, knocking over a vial of blue powder. Ignoring it for a moment, she glared at the physician, mildly annoyed that he'd managed to spy on her. She wondered why, but Edwin didn't seem like the most ordinary person in the world.

She handed him the box, blinking innocently.

"Swefn." Edwin commanded, his glowing eyes causing the insects to stop, lying just as still as they had minutes previously.

"You have magic." he whispered. It wasn't a question.

"No, it wasn't me, I didn't do anything." Merlyn denied in a futile attempt of deceit, hoping Edwin was far more stupid than he appeared.

"How else would you bring them to life? Only magic can do just a thing." he stated, vaguely bemused. Merlyn winced, knowing she'd been caught.

"These little angels are how I cured the Lady Morgana." Edwin looked almost proud. "They repaired the damage to her brain and saved her life." He shut the box, dramatically walking back to the table.

"Magic can be used for good."

"I know." Merlyn frowned. If she didn't believe that, her destiny would be rather ironic.

"Then why do you fear it?"

"It isn't magic I fear." she held her chin up, meeting his eyes as he contemplated her words.

"Should I have let Morgana die?"

Merlyn shook her head, sure of her answer. "No."

"People like us, we have a gift. Do you think it should be used to better the world?" There was something in his gaze, a glint in his eyes, not necessarily evil, but certainly not good. Something dark.

"Perhaps." she muttered, noticing the blue powder. She began tidying it up, thinking about Edwin's murmurs, wondering what he was planning. There must be a plan, of course, speeches aren't composed without an idea, Merlyn could only hope that, whatever he was thinking was as harmless as he portrayed magic to be.

"Don't bother trying to pick that up." Edwin smirked. "Feormian dust rénian."

The powder floated through the air, landing back in the vial. Merlyn thought she was supposed to be impressed, but with her innate power, it was hard to be.