A Remedy to Cure All Ills P3

Arthur paused before walking into the physician's chambers, letting his regret overwhelm him. He knew why his father wanted to see Gaius, knew that it was wrong, but, as he pushed open the door, he knew that he could do little more than watch as the man who'd helped him throughout his life was cast aside.

"Gaius, my father needs to speak with you." he spoke reluctantly, wishing that he could shield the old man from the harshness of the outside world.

"When?"

"Immediately."

The physician sighed, stood, and followed Arthur to the throne room. They walked in silence: Gaius clearly had a lot on his mind. Unsurprising, frankly, considering the fate that was about to befall him.

When they arrived, the room was empty, save for a stray guard and the king slouched forward in his throne. Arthur stood to the side, leaning on the same column Merlyn had stood by only hours before.

"Sire, you wished to speak to me, are you unwell?" Gaius looked curious, his innocence almost heartbreaking. Likely, he knew what was coming: if Merlyn hadn't told him, he was most certainly perceptive enough to understand his situation himself, but none of this masked the hope that blatantly clung to the physician, that his old friend wouldn't betray him in such a cruel fashion.

"This is not an ailment you can treat me for." the king grimaced, at least having enough respect to bow his head, unable to meet the eyes of someone he had called a friend for so many years. Arthur refused to look at Gaius, casting a glare at his father, praying that in these precious seconds, he would see sense.

"You've been a loyal servant for many years. I look upon you as a friend." Uther got up, pacing uncomfortably.

There was something about the way that Gaius spoke which indicated that he did indeed know why he had been summoned. "And I regard you the same way sire."

"You've been here since Arthur's birth, and... all that entailed. What I'm trying to do is what I think is best for you." Uther stated, although whether he was trying to convince the physician or himself, the prince wasn't quite sure.

Arthur saw the wince on Gaius' face,  dread, which he couldn't quite understand, flickering through his eyes for just a moment, undetectable to anyone who hadn't been trained for the battlefield, to create fear in the hearts of men, who hadn't had to survive on little more than instincts.

"I don't understand sire." Gaius didn't seem frustrated, but panicked. Arthur didn't doubt for a moment that the physician saw quite clearly what was about to happen but was trying, for some reason, to delay the inevitable. Strange indeed.

"I'll give you a generous allowance. Make sure you're looked after." Arthur had to roll his eyes, as if Gaius, who had served the court unquestioningly for two decades would be worried for his food. His loyalty went far deeper than that.

"Because I made one mistake? But in truth, sire, it was not a mistake." He looked like he was going to continue, but, at that moment, Edwin, who had concealed himself behind a pillar, made himself visible.

"What was it then, Gaius?" the scarred man asked calmly.

Arthur saw Gaius visibly stiffen at his appearance. Evidently, there was something that the prince was missing.

"It was..." Gaius trailed off, his gaze never leaving Edwin

"It was unfortunate." Uther finished for him, either ignorant or too oblivious to see the battle between the two men.

"May I ask who will be the next court physician?" Gaius seemed to have found something very interesting on his muddy shoes: he didn't look up, refusing to meet the eyes of anyone in the room.