The Beginning of the End P3

"You blithering idiot." Arthur cursed, throwing a goblet at Merlyn's face. "I can't believe you thought..."

"What? That we could sneak the boy out of the city?" the servant questioned, ducking to avoid the prince's projectile. "We've hidden him in the castle for three days! Of course we had a chance."

"No, that you let Morgana take him, what were you thinking?"

Merlyn paused. The prince had summoned her to his room, evidently in a splendid mood. She knew exactly why she'd let the king's ward go with the child; she hated herself for it. The dragon had got to her. He'd gotten into her head and, despite her conviction that she would ignore his advice, she'd almost let the boy die because of it. She wouldn't make that mistake again.

"I wasn't. She seemed like the best option: Uther would never execute her." Probably. It didn't seem like such a good idea to voice her uncertainty.

"Well Uther only spares her because of a promise he made to her father." Arthur brought his hand to his face, rubbing his eyes as if he were trying to wake up from some kind of dream.

Then, he stopped, fixing her with an uncertain stare. "So when you came to me last night, it was just to get the keys?"

Merlyn hesitated, surprised by the question, but recovered quickly, shaking her head stubbornly. "No. I wouldn't use you like that."

Arthur's eyes softened but, unfortunately, he still looked like he wanted to hit something.

"Was he really behind Morgana's screen when I came to search her chambers?" he inquired, understandably faintly embarrassed.

"Yeah, I was there too. I have to say, I thought I'd get a better review than 'lazy lout'." she stated, raising her eyebrow questioningly. Arthur threw a plate at her, hiding his guilt behind the crash of the dish against the door. But she saw it, just a glimmer of something that gave her the hope to push him further.

"I know you believe your father's wrong to execute him." Merlyn pleaded, searching for something good in his expression.

"It doesn't matter what I think." Arthur muttered, averting his eyes. "My father's made up his mind, he won't be talked out of it. I tried."

"Then the time for talking is over."

"Whatever you're thinking, Merlyn, it's not going to happen." There was something in the way that Arthur spoke that told her that he was planning something and, being the selfless prat he always was, had no intention of getting anyone else involved.

"We have to get him back to his people." Merlyn pushed, her own ideas rushing through her head. She'd been wrong to keep Arthur in the dark before, but she now saw his true heart. He believed in his father's wishes about as much as she did; with him, maybe they had a chance.

The prince frowned. "No, forget it."

"I can't believe that you'd let an innocent child die." the servant exclaimed, hoping that Arthur would confide in her.

"It's too late. He's been caught. I have no choice." he sighed, turning away, refusing to look at his servant.

"And this is how you'll rule when you're king? Alone?" Merlyn ran her hand through her hair wearily. "I'm not stupid, Arthur, you're clearly planning something: you're not like your father."

Arthur turned back to her, opening his mouth to deny her accusations, but closed it again, realising his efforts would be fruitless.

"Fine." he muttered, "You could prove useful."

"Great," she beamed, walking towards the servant's entrance. Opening the door, she ushered a rather sheepish Morgana into the room. Arthur shook his head, not trusting his voice. He should've known that the ward wouldn't leave this alone, especially with his servant's interest. They were more similar than he'd care to admit.