13- The Giving Tree

Author's Note: The art for the chapter is by AceofIntuition on Tumblr. The art within is by MetallicArtist.

The song referenced is The Giving Tree by Plain White Ts.

__________________________________________

"A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great." - Proverbs 18:16

__________________________________________

The moment of timelessness was done and left behind discomfiture.

The two newfound cohorts amid the gloom were now left with no assurance of what action to take next, what needed to be done now that their cautious acceptance of one another was sealed; they had mundane living and surroundings that needed to be addressed.

It was difficult to realize this as they stood together, stunned and stinging because of their resolve in fate.

Despite being the one among them with the longest awaited, most harrowing and perspective-changing experience in this revelation, Sammy was the first to break free from the trance upon their souls. The man knew a search needed to begin.

"You require things I don't; I recall that much. I know there's more than I have here."

She came from the trance as well, perplexed until he elaborated.

"Your body- your human body. What does it need?"

Normally such a question could be answered by a 1st grade science student, but trauma and exhaustion slowed her mind. Her breath rose her shoulders slightly as her eyes narrowed and shifted to her left in contemplation.

"Water," she finally stated, "and food." The sides of her mouth pulled back in disappointment, realizing that the basics may now be a luxury. But if the necessities were indulgent, then these next wishes were ambrosia for her mortality:

"C-clean clothes would be nice." The more attention she paid to the stench from her jacket, the more she grasped it may now be clinging to her skin. "I'd love a shower or a bath, but I'm not sure how likely that would be. A bed or- or at least a blanket to sleep in, too."

One cheek pushed a wrinkle towards her eye as she glanced back at him. There was much more she'd like to have. The impression books and movies had given her that people only crave the essentials when estranged from civilization was a lie, and it made her feel selfish. But what she listed out loud were the only items reasonable to ask of him, she knew that- and again, clean clothes and amenities were pushing it; who'd keep those things in a place of business? Who'd house them here and not take what they could with them when they left?

She remembered the tin can she once held between her legs. It was a mild relief that probably gave too much hope for more to come.

"You found that soup, so there's at least some food around here. And, and maybe my bag might have my change of clothes, but...do you know if you have any of those things?"

There was a terrible pause until the lean in his neck became a nod.

"I think that can be arranged."

And so he began to leave her and the bag behind until he heard a few taps behind his heels. Sammy half turned to peer back at the lost puppy.

"No, you're to stay here," he instructed, "I don't know how long it will be until I find what you're looking for."

The woman immediately filled herself with panic. As far as she knew, there was only one of those half-man monsters that wandered the halls, but what if it came back? It seemed to leave her alone when Sammy was nearby. It wasn't simply a matter of knowing what to do if it returned; it was a matter of never being near it again.