Chapter 28: In Which Laina and Joel Feel the Effects of Love-in-idleness

Had Laina had something to drink? Something to smoke? She was certain she hadn't, would remember any such transgressions, but she felt ... drunk? High? Intoxicated maybe. She hadn't touched the food or drink, had obeyed all the rules like a good girl. It was as if the air she was breathing was drugged with vapors of ... did it matter? She closed her eyes and let her body sway to the music. She felt good. She could hear the beat of her heart syncopating with the beat of the drums. Her hips moved to the music. Her lips felt sensitive. She licked them, tasting the sweet forest air on her tongue. She luxuriated in the moment, the rhythm. It was the first time since being in Htrae that she felt content.

There were beings of light, creatures with wings, elves so close to human, and yet unique, all dancing around her, with her, all experiencing this bliss, this joy, this happiness as one. They undulated and oscillated back and forth, naturally, to the careening harmonies.

Tears slid down Laina's face.

This moment was beautiful. Magical. She was at peace.

A pink-haired beauty, flat chested but undeniably feminine, was singing, weaving a spell like a pop princess wearing no shoes, standing on a carpet of pine-needles in a dress of leaves. Please never stop singing, Laina thought. It was as if the song told the earth the truth inside of her, like she was conversing with the wind, holding court with the sentinels of the forests, the trees who knew all, saw all, as the seasons changed. The air was silk against her face, in-between her fingers, playing with her hair, teasing her chest.

Laina felt a body behind her, warm and gyrating, moving with her as one, grinding to the boom, boom, boom. A hand took Laina's firmly, turned her, lead her in a spin. Then there was Joel, in front of her, bringing her in close, locking knees with her. The material of her dress got in the way and for a moment she considered taking off the impeding garment. Joel's hand hovered at the small of her back protectively. Her own hands moved to play with his messy, thick dark locks.

"Laina, something isn't right," he whispered, projecting his voice above the loud drums and the lyre. "If I wasn't sure before, I am now." He smirked at her. Sober Laina would have shirked his familiar proximity. Maybe would have slapped him.

"Everything is so right," Laina protested. This felt good. So good. Why did Joel have to ruin everything? She could stop his protests. She didn't want him to take her away from this place, this moment. Laina's hand made her way to unbutton his shirt and sneak underneath, as she stroked Joel's chest, his chiseled abdomen, her fingers tickling, insisting he live in his body and forget his over-complicated thoughts.

He groaned. The sound made a thousand butterflies take flight in Laina's stomach. Her lips were so close to his. She could feel his whole body against hers, hard and supple at the same time, smelling so good, moving with her. She snaked her way down and then up his body with a seductive wiggle. Put her hands around his neck instinctively.

It took considerable effort on Joel's part not to close the half inch between their mouths.

"Stop Laina, please. I'm trying really hard to fight this and you're not making it easy." He was breathing hard, his expression serious. Why so serious?

She glared at him defiantly, eyes blazing now, willing him to relax. They were finally at a party and this was when he chose not to be any fun? She looked around to the warm bodies milling about, enjoying each other, and found a handsome fae, long blue hair and naughty tilted eyes, dancing alone. They were topless and undeniably attractive, lithe and muscled. She smiled and moved towards them only to be jerked back by Joel.