Chapter 31: In Which Rowan Makes a Deal

Rowan sat in a clearing, staring up at the snow-crested mountains, turquoise tributaries wending their way down through clouds and grey rock, disappearing into lush wild foliage only to reappear a ways down from her as a quaint river, sparkling and iridescent in the sun. She was staring at the rolling mountains, listening to the rustling of the trees and the babbling brook as if maybe they would tell her what to say. As if they held the knowledge from watching thousands of creatures interact since the beginning of time, of what she should do and say. And yet, they were simply obstinate, withholding the sage wisdom which Rowan was in such need of, simply to see her fumble.

Rowan didn't know what to say to her sister. She didn't even know how to be someone's sister. She sat beside Laina, looking at the landscape stretched out in front of them and not into those large churning oceanic eyes. Sitting side by side, their similar righteous anger over Joel's idiocy finally subsiding, it felt easier somehow. Easy enough to at least try. To reach out tentatively.

But instead, they simply sat beside one another in companionable quiet, loud thoughts penetrating the sunny glade.

Rowan was uncomfortable with the girl's emotions, the sadness and disappointment lingering there, so she waited for some time to let them subside with natures soothing embrace.

"Sooo..." Rowan said, fumbling, eventually ready.

There was a pause and then Laina looked at Rowan, her lips wobbling until she broke her angry stance and let a cackle out. Rowan joined in. It was funny how bad they were at this. Their peels of laughter were secreted away by the playful wind.

Once they finished the awkward giggling fest Rowan tried again.

"So...," they both snickered, "Joel can be an idiot, but he means—"

Laina held up a hand. "—well. Yeah, yeah, I guess. But he was still a massive jerk about it all. And it doesn't mean my pride isn't hurt."

"He likes the ladies. Not that he should get a reward for his restraint or anything since it should be a given, but since he was also drugged and he's a bit of a ... well, cad and maybe someone who sort of goes around with every and any pretty girl, I mean even some rather ugly annoying ones, really, so I'm just happy he had some sense."

Rowan saw Laina's face change abruptly, like a fist had hit her in the gut, and realized perhaps she'd said something wrong. 

"Every pretty girl? Even the ugly annoying ones!? What does that make me then?" Laina asked, clearly hurt.

Rowan was confused, so continued. "I've never seen him look at anyone quite the way he looks at you, if that helps." Laina wouldn't know how much it hurt for Rowan to admit that. She'd been beside Joel every step of the way, watching every flirtation. The way he'd looked at Laina earlier ... that was ... something else. Even if he wasn't ready to admit it. Rowan would have paid a pretty gem to see him look at her that way.

Laina shrugged, still focusing on the way the water sparkled off the stream. She thought Rowan meant something else. Something along the lines of ... without any interest. She held her wounded pride close to her chest. "He's right. Nothing happened between us. Nothing will happen. There is nothing there." She peered at Rowan then, a look of determination in her eyes.

Rowan raised an eyebrow at Laina. Nothing? Laina was young and Joel was stupid. Something. Rowan tried to keep her own emotions from showing, a yearning and jealousy she felt ashamed of carrying.

"So this is the sort of thing sisters are supposed to talk about, right? Boys?" Laina asked.

They both laughed again. It felt better, if still a little forced.