Knife's Edge

Ah Si clutched Shancai's tiny fingers even tighter as the light bulbs popped relentlessly in his face, dazzling him as they struggled to make their way through the crowd. There were cameras everywhere and he was being crushed, but he refused to relinquish his hold on the tiny girl to make his progress easier. If he had the choice, he would never again let go of his love; he finally had her back and he wouldn't risk her disappearing again. He couldn't take any more separation. However, he hadn't anticipated this type of reaction when they returned from the island; why on earth was the paparazzi here? What in the hell had Xiaozi told them? It must have been something outlandish or there wouldn't be this type of spectacle; why did that stupid Monkey always have to blow everything out of proportion and make everything into a huge debacle? It was getting steadily harder to hold onto Shancai, and his fingers tightened desperately as he yanked her forward, anxious to escape the crowd and steer her to safety.

He knew he should be feeling grateful towards Xiaozi, as without her, he wouldn't be reunited with his precious Shancai. However, he couldn't help but to feel some residual bitterness towards the spoiled heiress; after all, if it wasn't for her, he wouldn't have been in this mess in the first place. He wouldn't have almost lost his relationship with Shancai; it had been hanging by the briefest of threads, and Xiaozi had almost severed it permanently. Why hadn't she just simply refused his mother's outrageous proposal as he had? Her insistence on pursuing him, despite his obvious disinterest, had only caused unnecessary friction between Ah Si and Shancai. Even now, the Daoming heir wasn't one hundred percent sure that Shancai had forgiven him entirely for what happened at the spa. He had tried his best to convince her of the truth, that nothing, absolutely nothing whatsoever, had transpired between him and the Monkey in that godforsaken hotel room. However, he clearly saw the lingering doubt in her eyes and it frightened him half to death. He was on extremely thin ice with Dong Shancai and he strongly suspected that his chances were quickly running out. He had to play it safe before he lost her forever. That would be more than he could bear....

Ah Si grunted as he was jolted forward suddenly, Shancai torn unceremoniously from his grasp as the unforgiving crowd jostled him mercilessly. He span, frantic, fighting uselessly against the tide as he struggled back towards her. He could see her large, wide eyes glimmering with terror as she searched for him and it just about undid him; he pushed harder, raging against the pressing masses, his heart thudding wildly as he attempted to get closer. She was so small, she was in danger of being crushed by the crowd and the Daoming heir was dizzy with panic as she reached her tiny hard to him, stretching towards him pleadingly as he shoved his way forward. He threw his arm out, his shoulder clicking painfully as he strained towards her. He was so close; his fingers brushed hers, tingles running up his appendage as usual from the contact, but he wasn't quite near enough to pull her closer. Just a few more centimetres.... He gritted his teeth as he launched himself forward, a large, unfamiliar male obscuring his path at the very last minute. He heard Lei shout his name, his voice horrified, but his attention was focused solely on reaching Shancai; he needed to get to her before she got hurt! The Daoming heir's heart stopped dead in his chest when Shancai's eyes suddenly shot abnormally wide without explanation, looking up at the stranger in abstract horror. Her face was chalk white as she fell forward gracelessly to her knees, and Ah Si began to fight like a maniac to get to her, the crowd swiftly drawing back all of a sudden as screams rent the air; something wasn't right, something was dreadfully wrong....

He went cold all over when he saw the violently red liquid spurting between her fingers as she pressed her hand shakily to her abdomen. Blood.... There was far too much blood.... Why on earth was she bleeding?! He skidded to his knees beside her as she fell backwards, her eyes closed and her pallor grey. The only spot of colour on her whole body was the vicious crimson trickling from between her tiny fingers. Ah Si whimpered pitifully, his hands fluttering over her uncertainly as he panicked; what was he supposed to do, what had happened? He was vaguely aware of a scuffle taking place behind him, but he didn't have the mental capacity to focus on anything except Shancai. She looked like a porcelain doll, pale and shattered, and a sob rose unbidden from his throat as he stuttered plaintively "Shancai?" There was no response; he cupped her cheek gently, tapping his fingers lightly against her skin as he pleaded "Shancai? Baby? Wake up, please wake up...." Ah Si was trembling like a leaf in a tempest, and he jumped heartily when a metallic object suddenly clattered next to him, startling him as he held Shancai's prone form, fervently willing her to open her eyes.