Zeus

Disclaimer

This chapter contains references to mental and psychological health issues such as Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder and Impulsive Promiscuity. Although I tried to keep my depictions as close to their textbook descriptions as possible, it is still best to consult and glean knowledge from certified health professionals regarding these conditions. Reader discretion is advised.

Zeus

He knew he was a monster.

It was in his blood, in the recollections populating both his conscious and unconscious mind. He could not deny that he'd killed with his bare hands, that he'd maimed countless souls, mortal and immortal alike. That his only respite from the trauma which threatened to consume him was in the smoke and mirrors of momentary passion. He could not deny the many wrongs he'd done over the years, the many scandals he'd allowed to progress even though he had the power and authority to cease them. Zeus was more than aware that he constantly hovered over the line between majesty and madness.

"Zeus? Zeus?" A soft voice called to him, jerking him out of his morose thoughts. "Are you all right? Did you lose your head in the thunderclouds again?"

The Olympian king snapped back to reality, taking a deep breath as he did so. He turned his head to meet his sister's gaze, and at the same time pushed the noises of war which forever dwelt in his head and rung in his ears. He fought against the fog that constantly tried to keep him detached from the real world so he could properly reply.

"I'm sorry, Hestia. What was that?" he asked, resting his elbow atop the hearth goddess' table and rubbing his fingertips over his left temple. The flashbacks were starting up again, and if he wasn't careful they would overwhelm him. Titans forbid they took over now and caused him to harm his sister.

The clatter of Hestia's golden goblet distracted him, and he looked down to see a fresh helping of ambrosia before him. Zeus gratefully lifted the cup to his lips and took a minute sip. He knew too much of it could fuel his madness, so one little drop on his tongue had to be enough for now.

"We were discussing the upcoming Olympian Tournament, dear brother," the female goddess supplied. "I was asking about the possibility of it being held in some place other than Elis."

"Right. The tournament." Zeus swallowed a little more of the ambrosia, allowing the warm, bubbly drink to soothe the pounding in his head. The crackling of the hearth's fire helped to further lull him into a sense of safety. As he let the drink wash down his throat, he couldn't help but be grateful for Hestia's gazebo.

It was the only place in Olympus aside from his personal pillar which truly felt like home. It was where he could think clearly, where he could drop the title of king of Olympus and go back to a time in his life when his only worry was what games he could play with his nannies next. He missed Crete dearly, and hoped that after the tournaments he could vacation there for a little while. "Elis has always been home to the Olympian Games, dear sister. I don't think the mortals will be changing anything any time soon. Give it about a few centuries, and maybe then they'll think to swap the venues in order to promote it."

"If you say so, dear brother." Hestia rested one of her hands atop the other side of the table. Her other hand reached for the glittering veil draped over her shoulder. Zeus noticed that her fingertips began twiddling with the shimmery cloth's end. "By the way, Hades came here the other day. He received news that Persephone was with child. He has asked me to petition you about her living arrangements."

Zeus sighed, realizing why Hestia had asked to meet with him. "Let me guess. He wants Perry to leave for the underworld earlier than expected?"

Hestia swallowed, clearly uncomfortable with requesting for something from him. This was why he loved his sister. She was the only being in Olympus who bothered to think about the impact her petitions could have. "I'm sorry. I know how much trouble his plea could cause. Maybe I can negotiate with him, perhaps tell him Perry can stay with me so they can talk through the hearth fire instead."