chapter 1

beverlys POV

song: death of a hero by Alec Benjamin

click

My eyes fluttered open, meeting a pair of icey blue identical to my own. The silence stretched out and my eyes grew in size as i instinctively pushed myself up on my elbows, one of them missing the couch I had fallen asleep on. My elbow fell right to the floor, pulling me down with it. A shot went off, blowing up a pillow next to my head, then a yell echoed. I scrambled backwards and behind the couch, unsheathing my knife. The intruder spun around the couch, pointing the gun back to my head, and stepping on my wrist so my knife fell. He kicked it across the room but it was too late. The footsteps could be heard from upstairs and we both watched as Hero appeared at the top of the steps, his bow already trained on the mans head. The intruder cocked his silver revolver again.

"We don't want any trouble." He clarified, a bead of sweat dripping down his nose.

I immediately questioned his words, narrowing my eyes.

He continued. "We just need to know who you are, and what you're doing in this house."

"This your place or something? It was cleaned out when we got here." Hero piped up, his hand ready to let the arrow fly at a moments notice as he stared the man down.

Suddenly there was a squeak of a floorboard and my head swiveled to see a boy, about the same age as me, walking in the room with his gun trained on Hero. He glared and readjusted his arms, keeping his aim steady.

The boy tipped his head back so he could see her under the brim of his sheriffs hat. His eyes went dark and he switched his aim to me. We all looked around, taking in our current situation.

Finally, the man spoke.

"My name is Rick. Grimes. My group and I live nearby. We're big." He paused before continuing. He seemed to pause a lot when he spoke. "It's just the three of you?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, how would he know about Rowan? I thought of my sister who had left the night before to go hunting, informing us that we were low on food, and that she would be back in two days with something to eat. "Just the two." Hero corrected, gesturing around the room.

"We saw your friend leave into the woods last night. Don't worry— we've got someone on her too." The man cocked his head to the side and squinted his eyes slightly.

I silently cursed myself for not having someone on watch last night.

After a couple seconds of silence, the man put his gun away. I watched as the boy hesitantly followed suit. Hero looked down at me and I nodded, telling him to do the same.

"What do you want, Rick Grimes?" Hero said as I ignored Ricks hand he had held out to help me up, opting to stand up on my own. He wiped his hand down his leg and rested his other on his gun.