Ring-Chapter 2: Confusion

Chapter 2: Confusion

Ronmaru crossed the junk yard early in the morning and knocked on Yuuya’s door.

An elderly woman answered it, “Oh, you must be Miyabe-kun,”

“Uh, yes,”

“Yuuya!”

Yuuya tripped and slid to a halt on his face in front of his grandma.

“You clumsy little accident prone tyke,”

“I’m 17 grandma,” Yuuya said, standing up.

“Ah, Miyabe-san,” he smiled and Ronmaru’s hearts started pounding.

“Wanna walk to school together?”

Yuuya’s smile widened and he nodded, “I’ll be right back,”

He ran through a door and the woman turned to Ronmaru. She pulled at his cheeks and tugged at his hair, “Why’s there color in your hair?”

“Um, I dyed it a little,”

“Why?”

“Because I wanted to,”

“And you’re being nice to my grandson because you want to?”

Ronmaru looked down, “Um, actually, in a way I feel like it’s my responsibility to watch him,”

The woman nodded, “Alright then, listen, Yuuya’s never had many good friends. He’s so airheaded and pure that everyone took advantage of him. That, mixed with his parents death,” the woman lifted a corner of her apron and dabbed her eyes, “I’m sorry. You seem like a nice fellow. Promise me one thing,”

“Sure,”

“If anything should happen to me or my husband, please don’t abandon him,”

Ronmaru’s heart beat faster. Abandon him? That would be like throwing out a lost puppy.

“I swear,”

Yuuya walked back out with his backpack, “Bye grandma,”

“Have a good day at school,”

Yuuya walked close behind Ronmaru. Eventually he was walking beside him.

“Miyabe-san?”

“Hm,”

“What did my grandma say to you?”

Ronmaru glanced at Yuuya, his teal eyes cutting into him.

Ronmaru unconsciously lifted his hand and set it on Yuuya’s head, running his fingers through his light brown hair, “Not much. She just kind of made me see you as a puppy,”

Yuuya tipped his head, “A puppy?”

“Yup. You’re a puppy,”

Ronmaru started walking again.

“Why am I a puppy?”

Ronmaru looked at him again and a smile crept onto his face, “You’re sweet like a puppy,”

Yuuya flushed and walked slower.

They sat together again in class, and everyone stared in shock when Ronmaru actually started writing notes down.

People in P.E. spread out when they saw him smile.

The teacher kept asking if he was sick.

They ate lunch on the roof again.

“Here,” Yuuya handed Ronmaru a bento.

“What?”

“I made you a bento for lunch,” he said with a smile.