Chapter Two

-2 years later, Churchill Downs-

I leaned against the rail, waiting for The Only Prince to come around. The bay colt was just like his sire, small. He had his dams personality, a complete and total Prince. He stood 15.4 hands.

I heard the rhythm of hooves coming down the stretch and it looked up to see Bubba galloping towards the finish. I clicked 'stop' on my stopwatch and looked down at what the colt had earned. 1:14.2. I tried to be optimistic about his time, he worked six furlongs. A distance his dam had stormed through.

The colt had developed four socks on his feet and a star. He was handsome, but he was just. Small. I looked at my best friend and long time racing patner Jack. Who had been through so much after the death of Emily, his wife had left him. Leaving her children behind to stay with him. He had two kids, a three year old son named Owen and a six year old daughter named Madison. Madison was a beautiful little girl with her daddies blonde hair, blue eyes, and playful personality. We weren't sure about Owen, he had blonde hair also, but green eyes.

"How you doing Jack?" I asked him.

"Great Nathan, just...great." He said putting his head in his hands. "He's lazy and uninterested. He has not showed me once that he has a race horse ability. Why are you tryin with him Nathan?"

"He's not lazy. He's just not what everyone wants him to be." I looked at him. "He pulls for more of his sires side. So the chances of him getting better in the start of spring, end of fall are pretty big."

Michael and Bubba trotted over to us. He have us a crooked smile.

"He did good." He said and pat Bubba's neck lightly.

"Be honest Mike." Jack said. "How did he really do?"

Michael let out a sigh and looked at Jack. "He just doesn't find that gear that his dam had, the amazing response, the want to race, the interest. It's just not there."

I nodded my head.

"Why are we racing him when he's not interested whatsoever?" Michael asked, I saw Jack look at me waiting for a response.

"His sire had the same problem. He wasn't interested in the beginning." I looked up at Michael. "He's not bad he's just, not at his full capabilities. He'll get good. Don't worry." I said.

Michael and Jack exchanged glances and nodded, Michael hopped off of Bubba.

"Well I have to get going to my next work. Uh, call me if you need anything." He said and turned and ran to the trainers along the rail.

I grabbed Bubba's reins and lead him back to the stables, where I found Caitlyn with the children. Owen, Eric, Madison and Ellie. Eric was now, 8, and Ellie was 7. They had grown attached to Bubba always asking about him and if he's going to be like his mommy when he grows up. Caitlyn heard us coming and smiled at the sight of us.

I lead Bubba to his stall and closed the door behind me.

"How'd Bubs work today?" She asked in a soft tone.

"The same. He just can't find that special gear I know he has." I said frustratedly, I ran my hand through my hair.

"Don't get frustrated Nathan. Bubba is only a two years old, maybe a few more works and a maiden. Just to see how he's doing." She said, Ellie ran up to Bubba's stall and the bay colt lowered his head to my daughter and sniffed her and nuzzled her head affectionately, when he did Ellie giggled. Which caused me to smiled.

"But if we start him when he's not ready, and he loses, people are going to know he is lazy." I said as my smile slipped away and turned to a frown, I leaned against the fence.

"Maybe you should stop worrying about what they public will think of Bubba and start him." She said, I heard Eric run to Bubba too and I turned my head to see the two children playing with the gentle colt.

"A few more works. Then we'll start him." I said and stood up and walked over to Eric and Ellie and started playing with Bubba too.