Repetition

It was quiet that night in my house. Peeta and I sat at the table and ate without as much as a passing comment about the food. I did notice that Peeta was watching me, his eyes lingering on me as he chewed and I avoided making contact with them.

After half a meal of staring and silence I put my utensils down loudly. “Okay, what is it?”

He smiled warmly, the expression on his face so pensive. “I’m just… I just can't believe this is real.”

“You know, I don’t really believe it either. It’s all kind of like a big, nightmarish dream.”

“What the hell were you thinking? Volunteering for the games? You could have died before anything even got done.”

“It was the best way to do it, it was my idea and I didn’t want anyone else doing it anyway.”

“You really are going out of your way; it’s not up to you to do all of this.” He said softly.

“This is what I had to do to get Haymitch back, and if I have to go further to take down the people who ruined so many lives then I have to. No one will ever change my mind or make me think I’m doing this for the wrong reasons. Yeah when I first had the idea I wanted to do it for me, but now… I know how many other families have been ripped apart. How many more people have to die for them to prove that they’re in charge? How many more people have to die because they are so scared to lose the control?” I wasn’t so much asking him as I was asking myself.

I don’t think I will ever get an answer.

“Well I’m on your side until this thing is over.”

“And then?”

“Well there will only be one side to choose wont there?” We gave each other hard knowing looks.

We both know it, we’ll either win this thing, or both end up dead.

I piled the few dishes that we made in the sink and felt his arms wrap around me and squeeze me tightly. I couldn’t help laughing; I didn’t see it coming at all.

“What is this for?” I said as I tried to stop laughing.

“Thank you.” He said softly as he rested his head on my back.

“For what?”

“Bringing him back.”

“I had to.”

“This isn’t going to end well… is it?” This time it was his turn to ask the questions he didn’t need answers to.

I sighed and we stood there for a while, his arms loosely around me and his cheek resting on the back of my shoulder.  After a long moment of just thought I spoke up.