Chapter 5

You can download this book and buy all the books in The Belinda & Bennett Mysteries at Amazon, iBooks, B&N, Kobo, and Smashwords. They're also available at Scribd and Oyster.

True to his word, Kyle had bought no food of interest to her, but he had developed a sudden craving for all things homemade now that he had her captive. Belinda smiled to herself while strolling through the small downtown market. Kyle had started a list of things he wanted her to make while she was in town. Incredible. The man who couldn't keep track of his keys had made her a list - a legible one, mind you, with stars for bullet points, stuck on the fridge front and center. Oh well. He certainly appreciated her cooking by letting none of it go to waste, and her nana had advised her to use her skills for all they were worth. So she would. Besides, she'd learned that Jeff had been murdered, which she'd as much as told that detective, and it would help her de-stress to bake.

Rounding out the vegetables for the evening, Belinda headed for the baking aisle. Checking her list to make sure she didn't muse her way out of the store without something important, she glanced up to see the storm cloud eyes of That Guy from the party staring straight at her over the boxes of organic granola. Startled and embarrassed for no good reason, Belinda quickly averted her eyes and booked it to another aisle.

Just when she thought she was safe with the flour and semi-sweet chocolate chips, Jarrett materialized next to her, pouty faced and huffy. The band gig. She'd forgotten all about it in the craziness. And, honestly, she'd never intended to go and he as much as knew that. But, nevertheless, he was going to give her the Greenhouse Treatment, as Kyle called it. Jarrett would blast her with guilt to see if she'd grow useful to him.

Jarrett deigned to say hello to her and then stood there holding his bottle of soda, his cheeks suctioned in from repressing his loathing of her.

Belinda took a deep breath. Time to be the adult. "How was your gig yesterday?"

"You mean practice?"

Oops. Of course she meant practice. "Yes, practice. How did it go?"

"Awful."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that."

Jarrett shrugged.

So far, not so good, but he wasn't making any move to leave and Belinda was out of conversation starters. Just when she was about to come up with some clever out like, "Well, look at the time," That Guy rounded the corner behind Jarrett, walking straight toward her.

That was the good and bad news.

His expression was flat, but not blank. No, not blank at all when Belinda looked closely.

"I found them," That Guy said, shaking a box of - granola bars? - over his head.

Belinda glanced behind her to look for the receiving end of That Guy's dialogue, and stood in complete shock when he took her basket and positioned himself next to her like they were...together. Had she actually known this poor guy and totally forgotten he existed? Belinda took another look at him. No, she felt confident she wouldn't forget a guy that good-looking.

Jarrett got over his surprise and focused his sulking blue eyes on the man next to her.

"Ready?" That Guy said to Belinda. "We're running late." He slipped his hand through hers, gripping her fingertips. A bolt went through her and she nearly yanked away, but he kept too tight a grip. 

Still unsure if it was a rescue or a trap leading to bigger problems, Belinda said a quick good-bye to Jarrett, who glared with all his might at That Guy, and followed her new companion across the store. He strode next to her like they walked through the grocery store together everyday, which she quickly decided had pros and cons.