Chapter 19

"I'm waiting for a warrant to search Lily's house," Jonas said to Bennett. The edge of irritation grew in his voice as he talked. "Mr. Trebor's last noted delivery was to her."

"Quite the puzzler for your first official assignment as leader."

"I keep telling myself it could be worse." He looked longingly at one of the closed bars in downtown as they passed. "How about the mysterious bald stalker?" Jonas detoured across the street, swinging open the coffee shop door. He couldn't drink on duty, but he could pump himself up with legal stimulants.

"Finn and I have crawled through all of the surveillance video that we have and no one who looks like that ever shows up. I'm pretty sure he'd stick out, so I'm guessing if he wasn't meant to be there, he took a back door to avoid being seen by too many people. I only had cameras in the front, first-floor hallways."

"Do you think he knew there'd be cameras?"

Bennett shrugged, scanning the pastry shelves nearby while Jonas ordered some sort of quadruple-infused espresso drink. None of the cakes, scones, or muffins inspired him, though he might feel differently if Belinda offered one to him. When he looked up from his browsing, Belinda was standing right there, her starlight smile lighting up her latte eyes. Not that Bennett was even that crazy about coffee, but the comparison was appropriate considering where they were.

He pulled out his wallet after she ordered, placing the cash in the woman's hand before Belinda could protest. Jonas sipped his beverage across the room, watching the two of them with great interest. Belinda, all grateful and flushed over his financial offering, and Bennett, pleased as punch, even if he didn't look it to a casual observer, to shell out ten dollars on a coffee to see her smile. Jonas had to admit her smile was worth at least that much. He had no problem understanding his friend's growing attraction to the Portside native, and he thought the whole experience was good for Bennett. It was time to get over the past.

After a few seconds, Belinda spotted him and waved, then she and Bennett made their way around the counter to wait for her coffee.

"We were just talking about you," Jonas said, leaning against the high counter.

"I'm sorry to intrude on your gossiping then." Belinda punched a straw into her cup. "Should I worry about what you were saying?"

"Nah. I wouldn't let Bennett say anything bad about you." Jonas winked, enjoying Bennett's glower over top of Belinda's head.

"Well, that's good to know though I'm not sure it's deserved." Belinda grinned, traipsing out of the building where the air was less stuffy. Bennett was right on her heels with Jonas trailing behind him, smirking to himself.

"I ran into Lily today," Belinda looked at Bennett significantly, her nose crinkled up in distaste. "Obnoxious as usual, but I think she's lost something special and I need to know if she had it on at the party."

Bennett scratched his head. "What am I looking for?"

"A necklace."

"Is this significant?" Jonas said.

Belinda glanced at him coyly. "I'll tell you when I find out for myself." Bennett and Jonas exchanged amused glances. "I think the necklace I want Bennett to spy out looks like a knot."

Jonas rubbed his jaw. "This is making me think it's high time I gave the two of you an assignment. You up for some surveillance?"

Belinda lit up. "Seriously? You'd ask me to do that?"

"Don't get too excited," Jonas said. "It's boring work, which is why I'm passing it off to you two." He grinned.

"Who are we supposed to watch?" Bennett said.