Chapter 24

Belinda sat between Kyle and Bennett on the boat as they chugged back up through the bay to Portside Harbor. It was such a clear, perfect day that Sea Stud was still visible on the horizon as the police worked to deal with the aftermath, namely Lily's dead body.

Belinda wanted to feel sorry that she'd died, but the few horrible seconds she was trapped underwater because of Lily successfully killed any hope of that happening. Not to mention Lily had admitted to killing Mark, and Belinda shivered at what she'd put Jeff through in his final moments alive. No, this was better.

Belinda wrapped the blanket tighter around her shoulders and turned to Bennett. "Did I kick you in the head?"

Bennett held the side of his head, trying to ignore the stabbing pain on the side where the chain had flogged him. His mouth creased almost imperceptibly. "Yes, you did."

"I'm really sorry." Belinda placed her hand on his head gently. "I-"

Bennett placed his fingers on her lips. "You have nothing to apologize for. Nothing." 

Belinda relaxed, but kept patting his hair. "Actually, I do. I haven't been completely straight with you. You asked me if I was involved with Mark and I never gave you an honest answer." Belinda inhaled. "We were involved, though not for very long. Technically, we had one official day together, but it started long before that. I...I was embarrassed when you asked. But that's the truth."

Bennett nodded. "Okay."

Belinda bit her lip, working up her courage. "What was her name?"

Bennett seemed to snap out of some reverie, his hair still dripping down the side of his face to his neck. "What her are you talking about?"

"Her - the one who biased you against women of fortune."

Bennett licked his lips.

"Come on," Belinda said, slapping his knee with the back of her hand. "It's only fair since you know...you know."

Bennett hesitated, but the look in Belinda's eyes...this could work. Why not just surrender? "Alexa Dupuis."

Belinda's eyes went wide. No wonder he'd gotten jaded. "You went out with her?" she whispered. "Oh, Bennett. No wonder you hate us."

Bennett's eyes glinted. The first time in a while.

"She has issues. Big time." Belinda rolled her eyes. "She did anything and everything to annoy her parents in high school. Whatever she knew they hated, she went after with a vengeance. She went Goth for a semester because it sent her father into a rage just to see her with black nail polish one time. And she never dated anyone for the right reasons. At least, that I know of."

"So you're saying I was one in a long line."

"A very long line."

Bennett's whole face started to turn down.

"No," Belinda said. "No frowny face. You didn't know. And, well, Alexa is awfully pretty and charming when she wants to be. And it happened a while ago, right?"

Bennett nodded slowly, his jaw twitching. 

"So, there you go. Hindsight and all that."

"You shouldn't feel bad," Kyle said, squished up next to Belinda in the seat. "Even knowing all of this, the guys in our school were still dumb enough to date her."

Belinda jammed her elbow in his ribs and shushed him.

He rubbed his side. "Why did I want to save you again?"

Bennett's lip curled up on one side. "She's not nearly as pretty or charming now that I've met you."

Belinda's face softened, her doe eyes twinkling. "I hate to toot my own horn, but one of the hottest guys in our class did say once that if he had to choose between us, he would pick me."