Chapter One

The events in these last several months have been a little crazy.  Undertaker was appointed as the new teacher for my class at the Shinigami Academy. He was not too pleased about the extra work because it took away most of his free time with me. I told him we would get through it. However, a month later, I was transferred to another, more advanced, class. William said it was because I was so far ahead of my other classmates, he didn't want me to be held back by them. I suspect it was because Undertaker and I told William of our engagement. The strict, rule abiding Shinigami didn't seem to be very happy to hear of our new relationship status. However, I do understand his motives for transferring me. Undertaker was my teacher now, they didn't want to risk him showing me favoritism.

My first day in my new class, I did not recognize a single person in the room except for one. It was hard not to recognize the familiar head of deep, red hair and shocking, light gold-green eyes.

"Maya! What are you doing here?" I demanded excitedly of my best friend.

"Well, when you told me about you being transferred because you were more advanced than the rest of the class, pretty much signifying our ultimate separation, I went to William and gently reminded him that I was a close second to you in the class and if he didn't put me in the same class as you, I would go to the Head Master and accuse him of favoritism. After that, he was very cooperative." Maya gave me her most dazzling smile, which told me she did more than just talk to William.

"Maya, did you beat William until he complied?"

"Kate! Do you really think me capable of such a horrendous thing?" She gave me her  innocent yet evil eyes.

"No Maya. I think you are capable of so much more."

"And you are absolutely right to think so." Maya grinned wickedly. It really gave me the creeps when she smiled like a mad man. It just makes her child like features look demonic. I shook away the creepy cobwebs running across my skin and sat down next to my perfectly insane best friend.

Since our engagement, Undertaker and I have been closer than ever. We have decided to wait to get married until after I've graduated from the Shinigami Academy. However, that hasn't stopped me from planning the perfect wedding.

Between classes and helping her brother, Maya is helping me by giving me some amazing ideas. One of which being we should marry on the Eiffel Tower in the middle of Summer. I, on the other hand, think winter would be a better idea. I just love the beautiful timelessness of snow. It's peaceful and enchanting. It also symbolizes new beginnings.

Now, I know what you are thinking. "Spring represents new beginnings, not winter". However, think of it this way. When snow falls and covers the earth, it takes away what once was. It creates the path for new things. If snow didn't destroy the old, there would never be any room for the new to spring up in its place. Also, winter is at the end of the year. After the snow melts, the new year has begun into spring, the time for new life. It's the circle of life.

Just like with reaping souls. When one life is taken away, another life is born to take its place. There is beauty in destruction. It may not be evident at the time, but after the destruction, the beautiful outcome will eventually shine through. I guess, in order to truly understand, you would have to bare witness to destruction and remain to see the beauty that arises from it.

My life has been filled with destruction. Every time I was even remotely happy, something seemed to always destroy it. It first began when my older brother was killed the night our home was set aflame by The Order of the Pure. Now, do not be deceived by the name. This occult has nothing to do with ones virtue. However, it has everything to do with their blood. This group of "Pures" believe anyone who is not fully human or fully demon, should be destroyed. Unfortunately, since my family could pass as both human and animal, we are not considered "Pure". Therefore, anyone of our kind, the Were-creatures, are plagued with these humans and demons continuously hunting us down, seeking our total destruction.

After my brother's death, my parents and I ran for years, keeping away from cities, until we found a Pride of Were-lions. They, too, have been victims of The Order. They understood our loss and our pain. They welcomed us to their family with open arms, despite our different species. There, I met all of my friends including Jack Butler. He was an enchanting young man with bright amber eyes and golden blond hair. Even in human form, he looked like a lion. Beautiful and strong. Jack was the only son of the King of the Pride. Almost instantly upon our meeting, he took quite a fancy to me. The older we got, the more attached he became. When he turned 12, I being 8 at the time, he told me he had chosen me as his future wife.

After he made that declaration, he became very possessive. To the point where none of my other friends wanted to play with me anymore. The longer his behavior dragged on, mother and father became more and more concerned. Father had arranged a meeting with the Leader of the Pride to discuss Jack and I. However, the day before the meeting, our small safe haven in the middle of the woods was attacked by members of The Order.

That was the same night my parents were killed while trying to protect me. I was the only survivor of that awful attack. Throughout the years after that, I had no place to go. I had no home, no family or friends. I was all alone. My world was utterly destroyed.

After the destruction, I found the beauty of love in Undertaker. He gave me a home. He gave me friends, my new family. He gave me himself when he asked for my hand in marriage. In doing so, he insured I will never be alone again. The beauty after the destruction. However, with my life's track record, it's only a matter of time until something tries to destroy my happiness again. No matter what is thrown at me, I promise, it will not ruin my relationship with Undertaker. It just can't...

A/N:

OK, here's chapter one! Sorry it took a good minute for me to upload. I had to figure out how I wanted this one chapter to go. Hopefully everything else after this will be a bit easier. 

Sorry if it seems like I was kinda rumbling on with all that past stuff. I was trying to fill in the gaps Good Kitty left. 

But anywho, what did you think? Kinda boring? I kinda think so. I will try to have the next chapter up ASAP. But my job is working me like a dog. I hardly have time to myself. So I've started writing the story down on paper, because I can take it everywhere, and typing it up on here when the chapter is finished.

Well, as usual, if you have any suggestions, or if you just wanna fan-girl, (or fan-guy, I don't judge. :} ), then feel free to also put those in the comments as well. 

Ta Ta For Now my Precious Underlings