6

A nightly schedule had been set for me.  I began my evenings with various lessons in languages, math, science, and the arts.  After came more lessons of pureblood etiquette.  Then I spent the rest of my hours with my father or Ejin.

But lately, my father had been away on business, leaving me alone.

I didn't like it one bit.

Being by myself gave me more time to think.

And having more time to think stirred a restlessness in me.

The door to my room opened and I rose excitedly to the person. Expecting to see Rido, my mood turned morose as I saw Ejin in his playful manner walked to the couch I was sitting on.  His lips kicked up in the corners as I exhaled and I returned to reading another book.

"Why so sad, my dearest little niece?" he asked while he took a seat next to me.  He was here because my daddy couldn't spend another evening with me.

Instead of answering him, I asked a question in a childish way. "Where is daddy?"

The pureblood leaned back, his head resting on one of the velvet pillows. His arms splayed out beside him as he made himself comfortable.  "He has another meeting."

My eyebrows tugged together.  "A meeting?"

"With the council."  He had been attending a lot of those lately and I couldn't help but wonder if he was plotting against the Kuran family using them.

"Don't worry your pretty little head, your father will be back tomorrow."

"I want him here," I answered quietly, sadly.

"But you have me to keep you company."

"I still want daddy."

"I can't blame you.  At your age I wanted either my mom or sister."

I turned my head to him.  Ejin didn't volunteer personal information unless he was with Rido. Witnessing how Juri and Haruka betrayed my parents, it disturbed me to be with other purebloods.  Especially since one, who was supposedly my grandfather, threatened to harm me.

"Were you and mama close?" I questioned out of curiosity.

His brown eyes closed and a long smile stretched across his boyish face. "We were.  Your mama and I were a team.  We liked playing pranks on everyone."

It was my turn to slightly smile.  "That doesn't sound like mama."

"Oh, she changed when she met your father.  She wanted to spend more time with him than me."

"Because you're weird."

Ejin laughed, open and carefree.  He opened his eyes and stared at the beautiful painting of mama.  "You are very much like her, your mama. Perhaps you might be walking in the same footsteps as her."

My attention averted to her image.  There was no way I could be like her, a person filled with love and laughter.

"No one is like mama," I said with wonder.

"You're right," he said after some time.  "No one can replace her."

At least we had one thought in common.  Besides, I didn't want to be in anyone's shadow.  I wanted to be me.

There was a moment of silence before curiosity got the better of me again.  "When can I learn magic?"

It was my slip up for Ejin to treat me like a child.

"Magic?"  His eyes widened, mirth shining in them after his realization.  "Pureblood powers.  You can learn now, but only the small things."

I blinked at him while waiting quietly for him to continue.