Chapter Seven-Late on the first night-1953

~~~Picture of Nell exploring the bowels of Hill House, and sees the haunted mirror in 'The Haunting', 1963; and the title music theme by Humphrey Searle~~~to the right of the MEDIA section. Warning: It is rated PG for scary music. You must be 13 years and over to see and hear it.

Part IV

"There must be a logical...", Mavis Cherton said.

"Nothing can...or has...or will...be logical at Mollerd Chimes, Mavis; nothing is logical when everything is illogical".

"You think Sir Charles's ghost will boo us?", Graham Sherwood-Love asked, as he smoked a pipe. His Eton-schooled Tweed jacket gleamed in the dark.

"Dear chap, Sir Charles will not boo us. That is very childish. Besides, I won't bother to hear such dribble from you".

"How worse it is to hear that".

"Dear chap, as I so say so...The Castle is haunted. People can be haunted. You see, at Borley Rectory in 1900, the four Bull daughters saw the phantom Nun while they played croquet. Such phenomena can be proved by professional investigators; such phenomena can play on your eyes' perception of the unnatural".

"You're talking of Essex ghost history, John", Bill Davies said.

"I am! And you're sceptically inclined not to believe in ghosts, demons, or the occult. Maybe you'd like to see the other rooms".

"Yes. Oh, I did feel something as I reached the bedrooms".

"What did you feel?", John asked.

"I feel that something evil is going to happen".

And he shivered.

***

The freezing happened immediately.

"GET THE HEATING ON!", John yelled.

"It is on 26".

"Is it? It is 11 now".

"That's impossible".

"But it is possible once you see...".

And then unearthly screams from the bedrooms disturbed their train of thoughts. Then the doors opened...and the Ghosts of Mollerd Chimes ran riot inside the Castle.

***

Page 8.