3

The couple of drinks he'd planned on having with Kenshin turned to a half bottle of Johnny Walker Blue. Despite their long friendship, his friend didn't know what he really did for a living. He assumed, as everyone else he socialized outside of the Yakuza with, that he did something in finance.

And Hiroshi preferred it that way.

It made things much more easier for him.

To not having to explain how he could afford to drive a nice car to his place in a decent building, to the odd hours he sometimes kept and how he traveled a lot for work.

It was all part of a carefully crafted persona, and he had been working his ass off for 15 years to make sure nobody knew him personally but of him instead, like he was some kind of mystery.

"You good?" Kenshin asked curiously as the two managers for the night started walking over. The club was still pumping at 2am, which Hiroshi took as his cue to go home. He had been hoping for a night of distraction and that hadn't happened. Which was surprising as Mitsugi always did the trick.

Nodding at his friend, he downed the rest of the whiskey in his glass and stood, shrugging his suit jacket on before he was straightening it out.

"I'm good. Don't stay out too late" he said with a laugh, clapping his friend on the shoulder before turning to leave. From where he stood he had a clear line towards the door, Hiroshi shaking his head as once again, he was looking at Tom, who was now scowling.

"Fuck, he's a magnet for trouble tonight" Kenshin growled from behind him, Hiroshi sighing before shaking his head.

"Hey, I'll take care of it...you focus on whatever you're doing with your managers."

"I owe you... don't fuck him up too bad..."

"I don't make any promises. You know that."

He smirked at his friend before heading towards the entrance, his strides long thanks to his legs. At 6ft1 with a solid build, he commanded attention wherever he went unless he wanted to blend in. He kept his hair short, a side part on his black hair and he was good to go, dressing impeccably at all times was also another one of his priorities.

"Tom, everything good?" He asked, chuckling when Tom turned and shook his head, a sneer on his lips. The source of Tom's torment that evening came to view, the fiery Latina who'd left earlier with the red head.

"I've got it. We were just leaving-"

"No we weren't... don't speak for me."

Tom rolled his eyes, turning to the woman with balled up fists.

"If you know what's good, you'll start walking out of here with me. Now."

He made to grab her, the way she paled as he advanced spurring Hiroshi into action.

"Tom— that sounded a lot like a threat. Towards a lady no less." Hiroshi could see the conflicting emotions flit through the man's pale blue eyes, as Hiroshi held his arm back. Shrugging him off, Tom took a few steps back, shaking his head.

"She's more trouble than she's worth, I'll tell you that. Why Megan is friends with you I'll never know... trust me, you'll wish you'd left with me instead" he said the last part with a smirk before pushing past her towards the exit.

"You ok?" He asked, wondering where the hell the sentiment came from, he didn't even know this woman.

She nodded, looking around before leveling gold eyes on him.

"Thanks. Have a good night."

He stopped her before she could take two steps, swallowing hard when his hand brushed against her bare arm.

"Allow me to give you a ride to wherever you are going..."

"It's not far. I can walk."
"Ok, I will walk with you."
"Not necessary, really."

He half shrugged, following her anyway as she went out the door.

"What is your name?"
"Annabel... yours?"
"How do you know Tom, Annabel?"
"He's Megan's brother. She's my friend. You still haven't told me your name-"
"Why doesn't he like you?"

She stopped walking, biting her lip as she looked up at him guardedly. Crossing her arms over her chest, she sighed and looked down the deserted street before she looked at him again.

"Megan and I met in college. We had roomies who were bff's and tried to con us into switching rooms. I'm from New York City, I don't play those games and we ended up with the bigger room. And a brand new microwave.
Anyway, after we graduated, she stayed in Connecticut and I went back, found a job and all that jazz. We would talk often and hang out, visit with each other. Until last year. She came out here for a visit with her brother and she never came back..." she explained, pausing to tuck chocolate tresses behind her ear.

"What does this have to do with her brother hating you?" He asked curiously, lifting a brow when she shook her head and laughed dryly.

"Tom isn't as innocent as he looks. Whatever it is that's going on, he's got something to do with it. And- god forgive me if I'm wrong, I think he might be pimping her out..." she said dryly, letting her arms drop.

Hiroshi eyed her seriously for a few seconds, wondering what she was thinking. If she was right, then Tom was really playing with Fire. Specially if the local boss found out.

"Why are you telling me this?"
"I don't know... anyway, I have to help Megan get out without Tom noticing and I'm running out of time. I have to go back home in 4 days."

Hiroshi shrugged, deciding not to get involved. He didn't know this woman, or Tom's sister for that matter and barely socialized with Tom as it was. Whatever happened to any of them was not his concern.

"Good luck. Be careful, you might get hurt if you start asking questions."

"Thanks bro" she said sarcastically, searching in her clutch before she was hurrying towards the doors of the small boutique hotel they had stopped in front of.

"I mean it Annabel. You should go home."
"I will, when I've helped my friend."