#2: Farewell

"I'm sorry..."

Sakura stared at him, genuinely puzzled. "For what, Sasuke-kun?"

They were both standing opposite each other by the gates of Konoha, an occasional wind blowing the strands of their hair. Sasuke's gaze lowered slightly to the ground, not wanting to look longer at her honest green eyes.

"For... leaving again."

Sakura's eyes softened at the sincere regret in his voice. In her arms, baby Sarada shifted slightly, adjusting her sleeping position once more. Sakura smiled and patted her daughter's back tenderly.

"It's all right," Sakura assured. "I know you have to do this. It's not like you want to."

Sasuke still would not look at her. "Sarada..."

"...will be fine with just me." Sakura stepped closer to her husband, trying to catch his eye. "Sasuke-kun, I know you'll come back to us again. You won't be leaving forever."

"..." Sasuke frowned slightly. "...If only I could take you two with me," he said sincerely.

Happiness bubbled inside Sakura's chest and she giggled in elation. There was, however, an underlying note of deep sadness in her tone that she tried her best to contain. "Yes, that would be wonderful... Unfortunately... it's too dangerous for Sarada."

"Yeah..."

Sakura stared at the dim look on her husband's expression that never faded and managed a smile.

She moved closer to him.

The next thing Sasuke knew, there was a gentle, almost familiar tap on his forehead and his eyes instantly went wide.

Sakura, standing right before him, grinned brightly as best as she could. "Maybe next time!"

fin