Chapter 4

"Are you tired, sweet cheeks?", a voice trilled out from behind me. I whipped around, stuffing the sushi chunk into my mouth, hurriedly downing it. A gamma with brightly dyed grey hair smirks at me with a weird glint in his eye. I shook my head, feeling like I had become one with all the inanimate objects in the room. Please let me transform into a vase, or a table! I don't want to talk to you!

"I've been standing here for the whole event," I replied frostily. What was he doing, chatting up girls that weren't his mate? I could understand the frustrations that came with a long wait, but he would regret it later. He persisted, fingers moving towards my cheek, "Ah, but you've been running through my mind." I beamed, the smile never reaching my eyes, "I hope I can run out of it, thanks." Before he could caress my face, I dodged his open digits, looking at my empty wrist. 

"Wow, look at the time!", I mumbled, before rushing off in a flurry of blue. He stiffened, shocked that I had escaped. Urgh, he didn't even notice I didn't have a watch. Wow. 

I fled to another part of the ball room that was slightly less crowded, watching people dancing in the middle of the room. I gazed into the distance, while the soft tones of the party went on. Samantha waltzed back, with a new addition to her side. Plastered together with her like duct tape was another blushing girl. With bright pink hair and a sultry figure, she was enough to pull everyone's gaze in like a fishing reel. However, she only had eyes on Samantha. 

"This is Dahlia," Samantha introduced us as I slipped my small hand into the girl's dark skinned hand, shaking it briefly. "Have you found your mate yet?", Dahlia sweetly smiled, making me cry inside. "Other than the creep I just met and the gorgeous sushi trays I just devoured from a kindred soul, I've met literally no one else." Dahlia waved a manicured hand, "Eh, maybe they're just late?" I shrugged, fingering the clasp of my small bag, eyes sweeping over the crowd. My wolf had taken to pace anxiously, not liking the way our thoughts were headed. 

"You're okay right?", Samantha tentatively interjected. I nodded. "My wolf and I... we... we're fine," I murmured uneasily. Dahlia's head snapped to where the live band was playing, a grin forming on her face, "Sammy, let's dance! Another song is starting!" Samantha hesitated, mouthing the words "will you be okay?" I saluted, motioning for her to enjoy herself. After seeing the literal only friends I had whirl away, I drummed my fingers on the table. Now would be a good time to appear, Alpha King. My stomach is really starting to feel empty again. Also, I could use a distraction.

I fished a pen and paper out of my bag, absentmindedly sketching out the different dancers' attire. I had wanted to become an artist for a long time, often dreaming to be able to work in a studio with my family in Central Pack. However, life kicks in and I was swept away by the reality of toiling on the farm. Out at sea, I often took advantage of the situation to keep my skills sharp, even though I knew that art was a risky job. If it didn't pay, then throw it away, was my mother's motto. I had concealed my heart's desire so that she wouldn't worry. 

I returned to reality, snagging a drink of punch from a passing waiter. No food till the big boss arrived. I wanted to let out a howl of despair. Boredom. Complete and utter boredom. I had wasted like five minutes to inner monologue and the big man had not come. This was the real injustice for wolves.

Out of the blue, the wolves in the room all stiffened, so still you could hear a pin drop. My hearing picked up many frantic heartbeats as a certain scent filled the room. Two pairs of footsteps from the large door. Two slow, calm heartbeats. My own heart was a sledgehammer, beating against my throat. I edged towards the food table. My wolf yipped in anticipation, feeling a foreign sensation.

Keep it together Remy! I scowled to myself, readying an empty plate. The emcee finally emerged, with a mic and a sheen of sweat on his forehead. "Announcing, the arrival of Alpha King Luca Nott and Royal Beta Charles Harrington!" Everyone felt an intimidating aura expand in the room, soon another one appeared, intensifying the atmosphere in the room from leisurely to petrified. 

Everyone doubled over to bow their heads in submission and I did the same, scuffing my plain shoes on the dirt free hardwood floors. As my ballet flats kicked against the floor, an alluring scent, impossible to discern, reached my nose. My wolf and I perked up as I jolted up. It was the scent of lilies, the smell of freshly printed paper, citrusy yuzu and the smell that made me feel strangely fuzzy inside. The mate bond! My wolf seemed to want to pull me headfirst through the crowd, but first, I turned to the dining table. I had been waiting for this the whole night. Surely a bond that I had waited for years to appear would leave straightaway. I gave up, the smell was too strong.

Turning to go and find out what that tantalizing array of scents were, it intensified and I nearly wanted to run to the source and find out what the hell was producing that. I blindly followed an invisible hook that pulled me through the crowd, clutching the empty plate and the tattered little pouch.

My wolf seemed to prance around in circles, crowing with delight as the smell enveloped my senses. I bit my lip as a throat was cleared, slowly turning around. I hesitated slightly, not really wanting to see the unknown but I tightened my grasp on the bag strap and whirled around resolutely.

Wow.

An attractive man stood before, with the same awestruck grin I just knew was on my own face. I was giddy with exhilaration, my mind a whirl as I scrutinized his features. A well defined face, tall stature and dark tousled hair. He flashes a smile down at me, as I feel my cheeks lift and I return it too. "Hey," a warm and low voice resonates, as I reply, "He-hey!" My chest feels like it was expanding with warm golden sparks, heart thudding. My heart is racing and my palms are clammy, before a resultant crash makes us break eye contact. I gape at the precious plate that I managed to let slip through my fingers. Oh noooooo. Oh no no no! 

"Oh no!", I blurted, kneeling down and sweeping it up in a daze. I wasn't really sure what to do. I had found my mate, and dropped an expensive plate! Mortified with guilt, I look up as he creases a brow, "Charles, clean it up." A small burst of power seem to come with those words as a familiar figure slouches into view. I stiffened, edging closer to Mate. My wolf gives a whimper of relief. Royal Beta Charles kneels in the ground with his dark tuxedo and white gloves, obediently dusting it off the floor. I look up. Wait. This power. This authority, only one wolf on this planet could order the Royal Beta like a mere butler. 

Oh shit.