Chapter 1 - So Many Enemies, So Many Knives.

With a swift cut to the neck and a stab in the back, the guard fell to the ground, lifeless. Akali had already scaled the tall stone wall by the time the body hit the ground, nimbly dashing from brick to brick and leaping over the ramparts, before eviscerating a guard with her trusty kama.

Pushing her back against the wall of a watch-tower, she surveyed the military compound that lay beneath her.  From her vantage point on the wall, she noted the positions of thirteen guards, two gate-houses and a well-protected building, larger than any of the others and standing firmly in the centre of the fort.

The job was simple: find the target, kill the target. Once again, the target was a former Ionian chieftain who sold his village for favour from the Noxian invaders. She recognised the symbol on the banners and flags of the fort as Noxian, clearly identifiable from the-

Wait, what was that?

Akali's thoughts were interrupted by a shadow, perched on the roof of a guard tower. It stood, feet parted and arms back, it's chest pushed forward in arrogant confidence. As Akali strained her eyes through the dark of the night, the shadow melted into black mist and disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared.

No matter. Akali was used to competing for targets, and she smiled, excited by the idea of a race for the kill. She'd been warned that the Order of Shadow had been sighted in the area and she had just the thing for them.

With no time to waste, Akali leapt over the edge of the wall, landing silently on the ground below.

Kayn leapt from the roof of the tower, his body drifting apart until, by the time he hit the ground, he was little more than a black mist and a rush of cold air. When he re-emerged from the shadows behind a Noxian guard, Kayn dragged Rhaast's blade through the soldier's back, slicing him clean in two. As the body dropped to the ground, it slid through a shadow, and out of sight.

"Your tricks are annoyingly useful."

The scythe at Kayn's side sneered with the familiar mix of superiority and psychosis. 

"Being one with the shadows does come with its perks," Kayn replied.

As the duo skulked through the darkness, they eventually reached the keep at the centre of the fort where Kayn knew his target was waiting. Slipping through the window, he found a body with a knife through its skull lying face down on the floor.

"Too slow, shadow boy" a sharp woman's voice purred from above him. Whirling around, Kayn saw a shadowy figure hanging from the rafters, her spiky hair and green mask almost entirely obscured by the darkness. Rhaast's laughter filled the room.

"Oh, that is simply perfect! How will Master Zed react to his star pupil returning from an easy job empty-handed?"

"Rhaast, be quiet while I deal with this little problem." Kayn smiled as he grasped the scythes handle with both hands. 

Before either of them could act, the sound of approaching footsteps echoed from the doorway. Kayn slipped into the shadows and Akali pressed herself back into the darkness, both watching with keen eyes as a soldier marched into the room. Upon seeing the body, he faltered for a moment before crying out, "The captain's dead!" He scurried from the room, alerting the rest of the camp.

Kayn slipped out of the window and into the night. When he made to leave, he felt a hand on his shoulder and dashed from its grasp, whirling around to see the black-haired girl from before.

"Hold it there, shadow." Kayn's first thought was that she was impossibly attractive for an assassin. Her ash black hair rose like mountain peaks behind her head; her torso was muscular but slender; her hazel eyes pierced through Kayn's mind, boring holes into his skull.

"Stay back, girl. You've already angered me by stealing my prey," Kayn growled, raising Rhaast at his side, "don't give me a reason to kill you."

Akali raised her kama, purring softly, "You're part of the Order of Shadow, right? I'm not about to just let you walk away."