Chapter 7 - Respite

The morning sun was pleasantly warm on Kayn's skin as he eased his eyes open, letting them recover from his slumber. His sleep had been more serene, gentle, and satisfying than any night he could remember; as he woke, he found his body relaxed and calm, absent of the tension and rigidity he had grown accustomed to.

"Rise and shine, sleepyhead," a voice above him purred, its tone light and playful, sending shivers of tranquillity through him. Kayn smiled as he pushed himself upright, his eyes falling upon the voice's owner; her hair was raven black, her eyes a calming shade of green and her mouth curled into a wonderfully joyful smile. She was sat at the entrance of the small cave they had sought refuge in the previous night, overlooking the golden valley below them, each tree a glowing, yellow gem. And yet, even with the rising sun bathing the landscape in red and orange, she seemed to glow brighter than anything else in sight.

"Akali, good morning," Kayn replied, an almost imperceptible trace of blush escaping into his cheeks, "do your wounds still hurt?" Akali rose from her perch, before dropping to a kneel in front of Kayn, placing her hand on his cheek.

"With you by my side, I could stand this pain a thousand times over," Kayn put his hand to her cheek too, her skin soft and smooth beneath his touch. Before he could react, Akali kissed him, sending Kayn even further into the ocean of blissful calm.

Their intimacy was cut short by a deep, demonic groan rising from the scythe by Kayn's side. Rhaast hadn't made any attempt to hide his disapproval of their relationship.

"Two of Ionia's most infamous assassins reduced to sentimental fools! Disgusting!" Rhaast's voice tore through the air, shattering the bliss Kayn had felt moments earlier.

"Oh, shut up Rhaast!" Kayn growled, sighing as he stood and stretched his arms, "I suppose we should plan our next steps." Akali nodded as she rolled up their sleeping mats and fastened them to her pack.

"I think we should find somewhere to keep our heads down for a while: it'll be at least two weeks before I can start working again," Akali said.

"I remember an empty farmhouse in this area from a job a few months ago," Kayn suggested, "It's probably half a day's walk from here." Akali raised an eyebrow.

"You're sure it's empty?" She asked, her expression apprehensive. Kayn's mouth curled into a grin.

"I am sure its owner had Rhaast buried in his skull the last time I saw him," he answered, Rhaast chuckling at his side.

"Well that settles it then," said Akali, smiling as she pushed herself to her feet.

By now, the sun had climbed atop the trees and it bathed their leaves in golden light. As Kayn and Akali set out from the cave, Kayn noticed a leaf or two drifting to the ground, the first tell-tale signs of autumn.

Author's Note: First, sorry for the long hiatus! I had some serious writer's block but I'm back into the zone now. Second, stay tuned because Kayn and Akali will soon be embarking upon my most ambitious plot yet. Third, the updates should get much more prolific from this point on, probably around once a week. Finally, Thank you for your continued support! It always fills me with joy to see people enjoying the things I write, so I am immensely grateful for all your comments and votes! Until next time,

-Jack