Lazar

She walked him to the door.

"Whatever happens, do not come back here until after midday tomorrow. Better yet, don't come back at all. Death will steal anything of value you're not taking with you." 

Redwing adjusts the two packs he was carrying. "I've copied every concoction you've ever shown me into my potion book. Your knowledge is beyond priceless."

"My prize student. Melock would be proud; as if he isn't proud enough." Her sweetness faded to her stern side. "Heed my warning. Do not return until the morrow. Take the northern trail and stay far from the road. You have everything you need. I've nothing more to give. Farewell." 

She slammed the door in his face. 

"Ok. Bye, Deirdra. I'll see you in the morning."

"No you won't," said her muffled cackle from within.

He looked down at the potions airing outside on the ledge. He reached in his bag, pulled out his crucible, filled it up, and sealed it. Lazar looked up at him while he adjusted his pack and they walked off toward the northern path together.

That night around a little campfire, Redwing spoke with his pet. The moon sat high above the forest casting beams through the budding spring trees. 

"This is the third time she's sent me off to camp in the woods because she thinks her time has come." 

Redwing looked across the flames to Lazar. She tended to hug the edge of darkness when it came to sitting around a fire. The warmth was nice but fire was dangerous and her instincts told her that even under the control of humans, it was best to keep a distance. She turned her head sideways enjoying the sounds her master made. 

"You don't remember as you were just a puppy last time. You slept in my blankets then. Pissed all over me," he laughed and smiled. "It's hard to believe how big you got in a year."

He felt the bag of crystals around his neck. She'd never given them to him before. They were her most valued possession. His expression distressed. 

"Don't worry, Lazar. Dierdra will be there in the morning. Just like she always is. She's lived in that cave for three hundred years, so she says."

Redwing pulled up his blanket and Lazar took her customary spot at his feet. 

"Good night, girl."

Dawn woke him with a start. The fire was out and its last heat smoldered away in ash. He sensed danger and trouble. 

"Let's go back early and see what she's up to." 

He got up, packed his things, and pissed on the coals.

"I bet there'll be a grand breakfast this morning." 

They were making good time along the trail near the house when they ran into a man and a boy about Redwings age. The boy had an eye patch and an adult-sized metal helmet. The man froze when he saw the wolf. Lazar was a full-grown wolf and when she growled with her hair standing up she could be very intimidating. 

"Run, son, back to the dwelling," said the man. 

The one-eyed boy was smiling at Redwing and his pet when he realized it was the wrong thing to do. 

"Run, dammit, now!" 

The boy obeyed his father and sprinted off towards Dierda's house. The man took a few steps back, turned, and ran. Lazar tore off on their heals growling and barking. Redwing followed. When they got to the house, there were other men outside. They wore leather studded armor similar to the man and boy, but they had swords. 

They swung at the wolf and jabbed to make her back away. This antagonized Lazar to be even more ferocious. Redwing stopped in his tracks. The door of the cave opened and a grizzled man in black and tan armor came out. He held a large crossbow. He was their leader. 

"Move," his command was obeyed and he aimed at the wolf. 

It was obvious Dierdra's day had indeed come and death was, in fact, bandits in the night. 

"Lazar!" shouted Redwing.

She turned and looked at him, teeth showing, drool hanging off the end of her canines, multi-colored eyes as angered and confused as his own. The crossbow clicked and a thick bolt slammed into her heart, killing her instantly. She dropped to the dirt. 

"Nooo!" 

The leader stuck his foot in the metal ring at the end of his crossbow, pulled back the heavy cable, and loaded another bolt. 

Lazar didn't move. Redwing turned and ran as fast as he could. When he heard the crossbow fire again the bolt slammed into his back, knocking him over. 

"Get him!"

The men with swords advanced. The thick books in his backpack were the only reason Redwing was alive. He reached into his bag, pulled out a tiny vial, and drank it. He got up and ran into the woods. To the astonishment of his pursuers, he turned invisible and vanished right before their very eyes.