iv

After a few minutes of walking, the beaver spoke again, breaking Fallon out of her dark chain of thoughts.

"Come on, we don't want to get caught out here after nightfall," he said, turning around for a moment to make sure everyone was still behind him.

The group walked between the rocky mountains, all of them being careful not to slip, though Lucy nearly did a few times, and she'd grabbed onto her brother as if he were her lifeline.

A little while went by before they all emerged out of the narrow pathway and in front of a valley, a small, wooden house showing in the distance.

"Ah, blimey!" The beaver said. "Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup of Rosy Lee."

"It's lovely," Lucy commented.

"It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished yet. It'll look the business when it is, though."

Fallon stared over the small hut, the wood barely visible under the layers of snow.

"Beaver? Is that you?" A voice called, and all five kids looked up to see another brown figure walking out of the house.

"I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again, I–"

Her words were cut short as her gaze landed upon the new arrivals.

"Oh," she said after a few seconds, "well, those aren't badgers..."

She slowly padded closer to the group, Fallon taking a step back and standing behind Edmund.

"Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day," the new beaver spoke, looking at the Pevensies in adoration.

She then turned to Beaver, giving him an annoyed look.

"Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?"

"I'd have given you a week if I thought it would've helped," Beaver replied, and Fallon held in a laugh while the others didn't, still hoping to go unseen until they were inside.

But her hopes went down the drain when Mrs. Beaver's gaze fell upon her, and she found herself wishing nothing other than to disappear when she noticed the shock expression on the animal's face.

The beaver turned to her husband before lowering her voice.

"Is that–?"

"Inside, dear," Mr. Beaver cut off. "We'll talk inside. I don't quite think she knows."

"Right, of course. Oh, come inside, and we'll see if we can get you some food... and some civilized company."

Mr. Beaver chuckled and waved the group forward, walking towards the small house, but Fallon stayed behind, unsure of what to think of Mrs. Beaver's reaction upon seeing her.

"Fall?"

The girl's head turned towards the voice, and she was slightly surprise to see Peter standing by the door, waiting for her.

"You alright?"

Fallon shook her head, offering him a small smile before saying,

"Yeah. Fine."

And then she went on inside the house, following the blonde boy before he shut the door behind them.

Mrs. Beaver took all their coats, placing them somewhere in a corner before telling them to take a seat, insisting that they make themselves comfortable. Not being enough chairs, though, Fallon and Edmund sat scattered around, with the girl being under the window, on a blanket, and the boy sitting on the steps.