Chap. 27: The Interview

(Picture of Brooke Adams Above)

               As I march down the hallway, my heart races. It's been three days since I was fired by Mr. Taylor and walking back into the office with my head held high is so damn hard. But I keep my pace as I continue on into the office.
The familiar faces of my former coworkers all look my way with shocked and excited expressions. It gives me anxiety. I go straight to Candace's desk. When her green eyes look up at me, I can tell she's not boo thrilled to see me again. We've always had a disapproval about each other. Basically she wishes she was dating her boss and I'm dating her boss's son. Jealous bitch.
"I'm here for my interview with Mr. Evan Tay—" I am cut off by a chilling voice.
"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING BACK HERE?!" I turn to see Mr. Taylor staring at me with fire in his blue eyes, "WHEN I FIRED YOU I MEANT STAY OUT OF MY SIGHT FOREVER!!!!!!"
"Miss Adams is here for the interview" my heart flutters, I turn to see Evan standing in the doorway of his office "with me."
                Mr. Taylor comes rushing down the office like a mad man. Everyone stares in awe and fear.
                "She cannot apply for the job, I fired her only three days ago!" Bob shouts angrily, looking between the both of us.
                  "Bob, from now on we treat every employee with respect and equality. Remember yesterday's meeting?" Evan's words sound more like a threat, his hand lightly raised in my direction. "Miss Adams is here for an interview for the Secretary's position. I am the one who is hiring, not you. If you have a problem, talk about it in our next meeting." Evan then turns to me, "Miss Adams, please."
                I lower my head and walk straight into Evan's office. I sit in the leather chairs across from his desk. It feels weird sitting on this side of the room. Applying for Evan to be my boss. It worries me. But I must be professional now.
                 Evan holds his suit close to him as he walks around his desk and sits down. I can't help but notice a few things about him. Evan's beard hasn't been trimmed like it usually is and he has small circles under his eyes. He hasn't got much sleep. I wonder why. Evan's hands slightly shake as he pulls out the "resume" I never filled out.
                 Evan clears his throat. "So, Miss Adams, do you understand what the Secretary's position is? What's expected of you?"
                  Those blue eyes slowly look at me. Damn. He's exhausted. I have the urge to rush over and hold him, to get on my knees and beg for him to forgive me (even though Brooke hasn't really done shit). But I cannot and will not bring any of it up. I straighten up even more and take a deep breath in.    
               "Yes, I would take your calls, set up office meetings, send copies of the novels you are publishing downstairs to be authorized and okayed." I say professionally, clear and loud enough for him to hear me. "And also, I will have someone grab your lunch."
                 A small smile appears on Evan's face, surprise also apparent. It makes me want him even worst. He nods and looks down at the "resume".
               "Excellent." Evan says professionally, "Now, lets talk about behavior."
               Oh shit, I can smell bullshit already. But I still remain straight and professional. But I fear Evan can see my concern seeping through my composure.
                 "Our company has a new policy. Unfortunately, one that should have been created and enforced much, much sooner." Evan fiddles with his pen, "In our office, we do not behave inappropriately towards other coworkers, employees, OR towards our bosses."
               I bite the inside of my cheek. No words. Just the constant eye contact with Evan.
              "We do not direct vulgar language, sexual or insulting slurs, or any discrimination against any race, ethnicity, or gender." Evan then nods as if he forgot something, "And we most certainly do not tolerate tantrums or any violent behavior."
                I nod, feeling the heat in my cheeks. "No problem."
                 "I surely hope not." Evan clears his throat, "You'll be getting 10 dollars an hour and you do get, however, as many days off that your boss gets."
                 I arch a brow."How generous of him."
                   "Well, that just about wraps up our interview here." Evan shifts in his seat, "Do you have any questions for me?"
                I can't help but smile. "When do I start?"
                 Evan smirks. "Tomorrow, 8:30 sharp."
                  "Alright, thank you." I say cooly.
                   Out of habit of my last to interviews, I stand and extend my hand for Evan to shake (always do this at a real job or for school/college). He gives me a confused, shocked expression. Just how I feel. But Evan still takes my hand. His hands are sweaty and warm. He's nervous. I think I even shook his hand harder than he did.
              I push my glasses up from the tip of my nose. "I will see you tomorrow, Mr. Taylor sir."
               Evan slightly cringes at my words, as I do as well. It's unnatural. Awkward. I begin to turn to leave when Evan's voice brings me back. I stop on the balls on my feet and clear my throat.
               "Can you come over tonight?" There's something almost—desperate in his voice, begging. "Please."
              When I turn around, Evan's eyes are soft and his expression miserable. I want to say YES. I have the urge to rush across this office and sit down at his desk and give him a hungry kiss. One that I think would satisfy both our hunger. But I'm tired of being that girl.
            "We really shouldn't talk about our personal affairs at work, Mr. Taylor." I think I'm smiling, but I feel like crying. "It's not appropriate for this setting."
              Evan nods, his expression somewhat twisted with confused. "Of course. I apologize for my rudeness."
              I then nod and walk out.