Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter 1

Brynn
• • •

A shrill cry wakes me up out of a dreamless sleep. I nearly fall off the bed in a panic as I scramble from the covers, glancing at the time on my phone before rushing to the nursery just across the hall from my bedroom.

"It's okay, little man, Mommy's here." I coo as I scoop Brooks up from his crib.

It only takes a few seconds for the putrid smell of his diaper to make me realize why he woke up from his nap thirty minutes earlier than he usually does. I quickly get him changed and toss the diaper in the trash. I'm almost positive I have feces on my shirt so I lay him in his crib and tug the garment over my head. Brooks lets out a wail as soon as his back hits the mattress.

I toss the shirt in his hamper and pick him back up, taking a seat in the rocking chair and as soon as his mouth latches onto my breast his cries quiet. I brush my fingers across his dark hair and over his chubby check, watching him nurse, feeling like my body's going to burst from all the love I have for him. It's unlike anything I've ever experienced before him.

I know, I know... You're thinking, 'whoa how did we go from drinking and partying to elbow deep in baby poop?'. The answer may not be as obvious as it seems, it's a long story.

Brooks suckles like it's his last meal, his chubby little hand pinching me as his mouth works the milk from my breast. Once he's full I get dressed, give him a bath and put a clean outfit on him. I carry him to the living room and place him on the floor with his toys so he can play while I make us dinner.

Our apartment is decently sized for the area and it's perfect for us. It's a two bedroom, one bathroom with a living room and kitchen. It's located close to Easthill University where Brooks' father goes to college so he's able to visit Brooks when he has the chance.

I let out a loud yawn as I start pulling ingredients from the cabinets. Brooks is currently cutting a tooth so he didn't sleep very well last night. I decided to nap while he napped to catch up on some much needed sleep although it doesn't feel like it did much good.

Brooks squeals and gives me a smile from the living room. I'm obviously biased but he's the prettiest baby I've ever seen. He has big blue eyes that are identical to mine, dark hair like his Dad and cherub cheeks. Once dinner is done I feed him as I eat until he pushes the utensil away when he's full.

I wipe his face and hands off and ask, "Are you ready to go see Auntie Ry Ry?"

He gives me a slow smile in reply, flashing his two bottom teeth and I melt a little at the sight.

I grab the diaper bag and lock the door behind me. Ryan lives in the apartment beside ours. We met a few months ago when she moved in. I helped her and her boyfriend Seth carry a box up the stairs in our building. Yes, that Seth, Seth Jameson. He and Ryan are so cute together. You only have to be around them for a few seconds to see how much they love each other. They went through a rough patch before they got together due to Ryans struggle with grief after the tragic death of her Mom. She ended up doing drugs with Nixon Hyze, Seth's best friend, and quickly became addicted. She thought he'd given up on her when one morning he nearly dragged her out of Nixon's penthouse and took her to rehab.

I know the entire situation was hard on both of them but it seems to only make them stronger as a couple. I yearn for an unconditional love like what they share. I've done some stupid things in my life and I'm pretty much alone other than Brooks and now Ryan.

Ryan pulls her door open on the first knock, Brooks' arms already stretched out for her. She tucks her red hair behind her ears and takes him with a smile tilting her lips.