Chapter Four

The next morning I woke to a loud knocking on my bedroom door.

I groggily sat up, stretching my tired limbs as I rolled out of bed ungracefully.

I made my way to the door apprehensively, not knowing who was going to be on the other side. Considering everyone I had met so far, I was hoping that it would be Diane knocking aggressively on my door at six o'clock in the morning.

However... somehow, I sincerely doubted it.

I opened it slowly, peeking out of the crack of the door suspiciously. After Brian's warning about locking my door at night, I wasn't too keen on opening it to a possible stranger. The most annoying thing was that there was no peep-hole in the door to prepare myself mentally.

And, just as I had been expecting... Brian's miserable face was the one greeting me this morning. I was tempted to tell him that his face would be stuck like that if he continued to make the sour  faces I had grown accustomed to, but I was sure it was too late by now for him to change it. His facial muscles probably didn't know how to smile anymore.

The polite almost smile that had been ready and waiting on my lips died, and I gave him a flat looking expectant stare.

"Good morning to you too. The delivery of the equipment you demanded is scheduled to be here in half an hour.  I'll wait outside and escort you to the cafeteria so that you can get breakfast. So hurry up." The action seemed to pain him greatly.

"How kind of you." I responded dryly, closing the door tightly in his face.

I moved somewhat quickly around the room, not for Brian's benefit, but more so for the breakfast that supposedly awaited me. I couldn't remember the last time I had anything besides stale pizza. I quickly did my business, brushing my teeth and pulling my hair into a high ponytail. I was sure I was going to be doing most of the heavy lifting if it was between Brian and I.

I rolled my eyes; working with him was going to be a pain in the ass. Well actually, working with any of these people was going to be... challenging, to put it lightly. I just needed to ensure that the girls- well, girl, was well taken care of while she was here.

I found a t-shirt and a pair of leggings and put them on, as well as a pair of runners on they had also brought over from my house. I was pretty sure that these ones belonged to my older sister.

My heart leaped painfully at the thought of her. What would she say about me working here?

I was sure it wouldn't be anything good.

With a heavy sigh, I opened up the door to a waiting Brian who looked to be nodding off against the wall. I scoffed, closing the door loudly behind me. He jumped, startled and sent me a heated glare. "This way." He raised his chin and practically marched down the hallway.

I followed after him, trailing a little ways behind as I pondered my thoughts. The General taking my recommendations into consideration was a surprise to me. It was one point for the Department of Defense against my weird suspicion that there was something odd going on.

Maybe I had grown to be too skeptical for my own good.

We reached a new part of the hallway that I hadn't been to before, and upon pushing through some large metal doors entered in to a large cafeteria. It smelled decent in here, which made my stomach grumble excitedly. At least I was guaranteed meals here, which wasn't something I had gotten for the last few months.

Brian led me towards the queue of people waiting with their metal trays. Brian didn't acknowledge any of them, merely walking to the front of the lineup. I moved to line up behind the rest of the people already waiting, but Brian sent me a glare and gripped my wrist tightly in his.