Chapter 1

Bailie's Patricks P.O.V

"There is no way in Hell that I'm going to that party!" I yell at my best friend Sabrina and my other friend Britt.

"Come on it'll be fun" Sabrina laughs awkwardly as she looks around the not-so-empty hallway. 

"Ya Bailey." Britt pushes. "Plus there'll be boyyyyyyys!"

I roll my eyes softly and discretely.  Boys. Honestly, that's what she gets excited about? 

"Dude you know I'm not looking for someone to date" I point out getting a scoff in return from Britt

"Your almost 17 and a teenage girl! How are you not looking for a boy to date!?" Britt hisses her face flushed with what looks like anger and embarrassment. I even obtain a strange look from Sabrina. 

I shrug looking down, my stomach knotted up and my head hurting. Why does she automatically assume I'm into boys. 

"Seriously Bailie," Britt grumbles then looks at me. "Great! Now your crying, ugh"

I look up pushing my hair behind my ear. 

"I'm not crying" I mutter looking in her eyes.

"Whatever." Britt scoffs and turns to Sabrina.

"Anyways, The Partyyyyyyy!!!" She squeals pushing the taunting aside. 

Sabrina smiles "Oh my god I forgot" acting as though the incident that just happened was something major and distracting. 

I roll my eyes and stand back a bit, leaning against my locker. The nauseating feeling in my stomach is growing as I watch my two friends talk.

"So I heard that Cooper Parks, Ayden Daine, and Zion Miller are all gonna be there!!!" Sabrina smiles.

"No way!!!" Britt laughs.

I lean farther back against the locker, rubbing my temple between my eyes. Closing my eyes I let my mind wander off to some fantasy place.

"hey, sleepy wake up" Sabrina spat knocking me lightly in the head with her palm.

"Hmm, what?" I ask slowly opening and blinking my eyes.

"God your dense"Britt groaned. 

"No, I'm not dense," I say.

"Sure, Sure" Britt rolls her eyes.

"Britt! I'm not dense!" My voice raising

"Jeez stop attacking me!" Britt exclaims like I'm about to come at her with a knife.

"But-"

"Ya seriously bails you gotta stop!" Sabrina buts in.

"Sorry" I mumble looking down.

A moment of silent awkwardness passes before I hear Sabrina let out a sigh.

"Well I should get going, I'm meeting Denver Barkley at Starbucks" She murmured and quickly gave Britt and I a hug before hurrying away.

Britt turns to me and huffs " So do you want me to drive you home?"

"No thanks I got it" I give her a quick fake smile and head out thankful to getaway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I arrive back at my house about half-an-hour later with a half-eaten donut. Grabbing my bag from the passenger seat I open the door and slide out. I fumble around in my pocket for what seems like forever before dropping my phone and grabbing my key simultaneously. 

"Fuck" I curse and bend down slowly, grabbing my phone and dropping my bag, which spilled open.

"Nonono!"I yell wanting to pull my hair out.

"Need help?" 

My heart drops.

An olive-skinned beauty stands before me. Tall and strong looking with brown eyes and curly black hair. Freckles scattered across tan skin. Black jeans with a gray button-down shirt and black combat boots. 

Damn, she's pretty.

"Um hello?"She asks looking down at me. "Do you need help?"

"Oh yes please thanks sorry. My friends say I'm dense" I reply awkwardly, running my hand through my hair.

"Oh. Your friends are so umm awesome?" She asks awkwardly.

I don't answer and start to grab my books.

"Hey I'm sorry" She placates.

"It's fine don't worry" I give her a reassuring smile as I reach for a book.

She looks at me examining my face. 

I look into her eyes.

My heart starts to beat fast.

And then our hands touch as we both reach for the same book. 

My heart almost bursts out of my chest.

She smiles and takes the book from under my hand and places it in my bag.

I flush with embarrassment and quickly grab the last book and place it in my bag. 

"I haven't introduced myself umm I'm Carmen" She smiled placing her hand out.

"I'm Bailie" I smile taking her hand.

We shake hands and I blush. Her hands are soft yet calloused and her brown eyes gaze into mine making me feel all warm and fuzzy. This moment feels so cliche but I love every second of it.

"Well I should get going, um my mamá wants me to make dinner tonight." She smiles helping me up as she stands.

I smile "have fun!"

"Will do!"

And just like that, as fast as she had come, she left.