1

Boiling waters rolled in the iron pot the woman had been cooking in as she slowly chopped vegetables, picked fresh from her garden earlier that day. She hummed before dropping the chopped veggies into the pot. She smiled at the routine dinner she had began making.

The sun had long since dropped beyond the horizon, meaning the oafs in armour would be due to check in on her at any time within the next few hours. She sighed, her silence soon to be taken from her. 

Running her slender fingers through her hair, she grabbed the book she had been studying before sitting in her large wooden chair, which had been covered in furs for her own comfort. She opened the book and continued her practice.

Until her door opened and closed hurriedly, latched, and locked. An arrow was sent through it, to the right of the perpetrators head.

Her book tumbled to the floor as she stood rapidly. She pulled the dagger, that usually remained at her hip, from its sheath. She pointed the tip at the man, as her other hand balled into a fist.

He raised his hands to gesture he meant no harm. "The bow, on the ground, now." The woman demanded. "Alright, alright. Have it your way." He said, as he dropped the light weapon onto the ground and slid it over to the homeowner.

Picking up the bow, she glowered at the male. "And just what are you doing here, in my house, in the middle of the sodding woods?" She asked, venom laced in her voice. "Sh! Be quiet, lest you would want your shouting to cause them to investigate the area." He placed a finger to his lips, as the other hand was held open in a passive manner.

Then a loud clatter came from the front of the small house, as dim lantern light followed. The woman opened her mouth to yell for the guard. Sensing his impending danger, the infiltrator quickly closed the gap between him and the woman and placed his hand over her mouth. He backed her into the wall behind her, and placed his elbow on her wrist. The dagger she held in that hand fell to the floor.

"Please. They will execute me." He said, sorrow filled his dark eyes, as the woman scowled at him. Then the door rattled, as metal rapped against the wooden barrier.

The man removed his hand from her mouth. "Answer the door if you must, but do not mention me. I beg of you." The woman paused, her mouth pressed into a line before she quickly unlocked and unbolted her door. She slowly pulled it open, the hinges creaked lowly, as the handle on the other side clanked into the wood.

The women's eyes searched the darkness for a face, met only with cold metal. The guard on the other side had a large helm over their face, as the woman stared at the specticle. She never understood why anyone would want their face to be shielded so.

"You there, maiden." The man in metal began, "A man by the name of 'Guido Mista' has been spotted in the area." He stated, holding a wanted poster with a hand drawn picture which was uncannily similar to the man in her house. Her eyes shifted to him nervously. "He is armed and dangerous. Have you encountered anyone by this appearance in these woods?" Her mind raced. Should she turn the man in? That would be the logical thing to do. "What are his charges?" She asked. She knew of the laws in the cities, and many of them were simply ridiculous, and those who broke them were as harmless as a finch gliding through the air. "Murder and theft. Of the highest degree."

"H-Has he harmed anyone else?" She asked, her hand forming a fist once more. Her fingertips began to chill slightly, a sign her anger was getting the better of her. "No report of him harming anyone. However we do not doubt that he would in fact harm someone else, had he felt the need to do so."

She let out a breath, and cocked her head. "And the victim. Who was that? I live out here and hardly get any news, I apologise."

"A nobleman. He was the only person killed, however. It seems it was an assassination."

'A nobleman, huh? One less in this world never hurt anyone.' The woman thought to herself.

"I am dreadfully sorry, but I have not seen anyone in these woods. I shall keep an open eye for the man." She bowed.

"We patrol the area every night, so-"

"Yes, yes, I know Ser Knight." And she shut the door.

She looked over at the man, whose name was Guido Mista. The clinking and clatter from the knights armour soon faded, as did the light from his lantern. And the man opened his mouth to speak, before the woman stormed over to him and slapped him. "Ow! Why did you- Ow!" She pinched his ear roughly. "Now tell me everything." She said, a dark scowl covering her features.

And he did.

{860 words}