7

The stew gave off a pleasant aroma, as a small string of steam billowed above the food. The three of them sitting in a semi circle of miscellenious chairs around the fireplace.

"Smells good." Giorno muttered, as a wooden bowl was placed in front of him.  The boy could feel the tension in the room, as the two adults ate their dinner in silence. Giorno let out a soft sigh, "I'll leave in the morning."

"No, its fine, Brother. I just-"

"No, I'll leave. You two are family, I am the reason all of this is happening." Guido said, as he finished off his bowl. He stood from his small stool, his heart feeling heavy in his chest. He gave a backwards glance to the siblings. (Y/N) stood from her seat, cheeks red with anger. "Guido, sit back down. You are not going anywhere."

The criminal smirked slightly and bowed his head. "Yes I am. You two don't need me here to burden you." He turned to face the sister. "I couldn't live with myself if I found some way to hurt you. That's why I have to leave."

"Guido! I will not let you sabbotage yourself!"

"(Y/N), please. I've had plenty of time to think about this. The only way I'll keep you out of harms way is if I leave you. Though our time spent together was brief, I'll always cherish the memories." The smirk from earlier returned to his lips, as he attempted to reassure the woman. "Guido, I refuse to let you leave. You'll surely die." Tears welled in the magicians eyes, as she gripped the archers arm. Guido's free hand traveled to the woman's cheek, as a tear escaped, and cascaded down her smooth skin. He wiped the tear with his thumb, before looking down at his feet. "I told myself..." he began. "I told myself that, if feelings started to get involved, I needed to leave. That if, perhaps you had them too, I needed to leave. To spare you from the pain of me getting caught. I'm sorry, my dear." The criminal leaned down to plant a chaste kiss on the magicians lips. "Goodbye."

Her vice like grip on his arm loosened, and the man exited the small cottage. The woman collapsed into a pile on the dirt floor. The tears freely flowed down her cheeks as quiet sobs escaped her slightly parted lips. "Sister!" The boy exclaimed, as he ran to his broken sister.

~

The cool air nipped at Guido's exposed skin, as his heart ached. He wanted to run back, apologize, and ask her to be his. They could run away, escape the guards and live in the countryside, she would run a clinic, healing those who couldn't afford to see a doctor, and he would hunt game, to feed not only themselves, but their five children.

He shook his head, foolish thoughts.

Amidst his day dreaming, the man discovered himself lost. The only recognizable landmark in these woods were the trees. And he was surrounded by the blasted things. He shook his head, and peered into the night. He squinted his eyes, seeing a torch light slowly approach his direction. His heart began racing.

Guido looked for a place to hide, but all he could see were the blasted trees. His heart was pounding so loudly in his ears, he hardly heard a small voice call out to him. "Over here!"

He snapped his head in the direction of the voice. A small, yellow, winged flying person was beaconing him to follow. He swallowed his saliva, and looked back at the torch light, which had gotten much closer. The person holding the torch was none other than the guard at the gate, Leone.

Guido looked back at the flying person, before quickly following the creature. Having weighed the options in his head, dying by something unknown, in the woods, where no one would know of his demise was much more preferable than a public execution. As he ran after the creature, he pictured (Y/N)'s face in the crowd at his execution. Her cheeks tear stained, her eyes bloodshot and puffy. He shook his head. Foolish thoughts.

The creature led the man to an alcove in some rocks. As soon as the man had entered, the rocks magically formed a wall behind him. "W-Wait!" He exclaimed, as he beat on the wall.

"Its okay, you're safe now." The small voice called to him. He turned around to face his captor. Bright lights struck the male, blinding him briefly.

Once Guido's vision returned to him, his mouth fell agape in awe. Foreign creatures filled the streets, singing and merriment carried itself from the tavern, and shop keeps and stall vendors waved down potential customers. "Welcome to The Hallow! Don't worry, you're safe here.  I'm one of the Six Pixies. My name is Number Three!" The Pixie pointed to its forehead, where a number three had been crudely painted in black ink. "We Pixies are the guardians of the forest you were in. That means anything thats living and breathing in our forest is under our protection. Don't worry! You can leave The Hallow whenever you want, however, I recomend waiting until morning, after the guards clear out."

Guido's head was spinning, and from either exhaustion or shock, or perhaps both, his knees buckled, and he lost conscienceness.

{900 words}