chapter 2

// sorry for the late update! I had my graduation and ended up going to Disneyland. When I finally went to write, nothing came to mind. I'm sososo sorry it's delayed, but I figured it out! To thank you for your patience with me, I wrote a short Hadestown story called "I love you"

The next day, Eurydice got changed into her work clothes early so she could prepare for the endeavor. She wrote a letter to her lover for Persephone to give to him, in case they never see each other again, if she didn't escape. She picked up a pen and a paper and started writing.

"My Dearest, Orpheus

With our chances of seeing each other are slim, I thought I'd write you a letter. I write to you in joy, grief, and fear for what future endeavors lie ahead.  As I said, our chances of seeing each other are slim to none, so I wanted to write something for future times. I'll try to make it short and concise, but I might ramble on.

I don't know how you are going, but you are still in mourning according to the gossip in the underworld. I want you to move on. Find a new muse. I want you to sing so loud that we can hear you from Hadestown. Don't be sad about the present, be happy that the past happened. Do good deeds. Use your music to make others happy. Use it for good. That's all I ask.

When I was asleep, I would dream of us. Little scenes and snippets of plays in my head. Ones where we were happy. Ones were we would sit by the fire of your apartment and not say anything. One where we got married in a small garden. One where we started a family. I want that. But I don't want you to wait for me. Yes, there are small percentages of me coming home, but lover don't hope. Well, have hope, but not for that.

This was all my fault. If I had listened to my heart and not my gut, we wouldn't be in this mess. You deserves someone who stays. Someone who puts you before themselves. I will never be good enough for you.

Don't wait for me lover, it will do you no good.

Love the girl who you were going to marry,

Eurydice"

It was short and simple but had everything she needed to say. She ran over to the speakeasy, where Persephone was already drinking.

"What are you doing up so early songbird?" The tipsy woman said in a slur. 

"I want you to give something to Orpheus"

She gave it Persephone and went on her way.

She hid her bag in a nook near the back exit of Hadestown. Her nerves bundled up with excitement, fear, and joy. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she headed to work. Eurydice kept her face stone cold but wanted to burst out into laughter for the unexpected. She put on that hard shell she had used to protect herself for so long so her secret wasn't revealed. 

She walked to the mines, where she would be working today. In Hadestown, you alternate between two jobs. You either worked on the mines or you worked on the wall. No one got out of work, with the exception of Katia on Maternity Leave.  

Dust filled your lungs. Dirt smeared your face. She was a canary going into the coal mine, and like most of those canaries, she was dead to the world.  

Eurydice picked up her pickaxe and went to work. On Kyros' signal the workers stopped working and lined up.

It all happened so fast in Eurydice's eyes one second Hades' goons were yelling and then all the sudden people were punching each other. A riot broke out.

She scrambled but one of the goons got her and grabbed her.

"Where ya think your going Missy?!" He said in a taunting voice. Eurydice broke from his grasp  and struck him against his cheek.

This didn't go over to well with the goons for he pushed her against the rock wall.

"Who do you think you are?!" He said in a manic voice.

Eurydice used all her strength to flip the goon onto the rock wall, taking his place. Then she kneed him where the sun don't shine. He winced in pain. Eurydice got a rock and proceeded to hit him over the head with it, knocking him out.

She ran out of the mob and over to the exit. She was greeted by Kyros and Katia.

"Sorry I had an incident with a upperclassman ." She said sarcastically.

There was no one guarding the exit, for the security was dealing with the riot. Kyros lit a torch and gave it to Eurydice.

"Lead they way" he said.

Eurydice proceeded into the cave that lead to up top, with the couple following behind her.