iv.DEAD IS BETTER

MOLLY HOOPER sometimes think that dead is better

MOLLY HOOPER
sometimes think that dead is better.

After working in St.Barts for so long, being surrounded by corpses was a regular occurrence. The fact that they were dead actually comforted Molly because they can't tell her that she's boring them with her vacation stories or tell her that her lip gloss is a bit too much.

Most importantly, the fact that they're dead means, they can't hurt her.

She can't imagine what's it like to work in actual hospitals, the amount of effort and interaction needed to go through one day must be tiresome, thinking about it makes her tap her foot anxiously ( what more if she'd actually work there?)

There would always be impatient doctors, complaining patients and irritated nurses going around. Molly doesn't think she can stand that kind of criticism and pressure.

When your client is dead, time is not an issue, it's not like they can file a complaint about it either. In terms of the supernatural, Molly can only laugh at the notion of it. Mythical spirits don't exist, and regardless of what most people think, they don't go around bothering her at her late night shifts by slamming doors and flipping tables.

If poltergeists do exist, the ones around the morgue were safe to say, domesticated and civilized.

The dead might be real, but ghosts aren't.

So when Molly Hooper turns around to face one, she nearly screamed. If it wasn't for Sherlock's hand around her mouth, she would've shrieked loud enough for two floors below her to hear. Yet, with his fingers clamped shut around her lips, she didn't have much choice but to stare at the dead woman.

It took every fiber in her being to not open the morgue cabinet by the top right corner because she's afraid that the corpse that came in a week ago on New Year's Eve won't be there. However, Molly knows she's just cheating herself to think that she doesn't know the answer to that question.

The woman before her looked at Molly apologetically, and she gave Sherlock a soft glare. He released his grip from Molly, stepping back to let her breathe.

" Please don't scream," Sherlock whispered," We can explain."

Molly nodded, sweeping away the loose strands of her hair," Then explain."

Her answer had come off more breathless than she intended, her eyes darting between the pair. Her gaze lingered at Sherlock as he explained their current situation, her heart clenching at the sight of him. Molly liked him, everyone knew that he knew that. To see him worked upon such a case is nothing new, it's actually something she secretly enjoys. It fascinated her, the way his eyes light up in thought and curiosity.

Yet, the heart-wrenching feeling of being on the other end of unrequited love was always enough to remind her that it's pointless, to be in love with a man like Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock Holmes doesn't care about people, why would she be an exception?

But she cared about him, so that's why Molly Hooper swallowed her fear to unlatch the claps of the metal doors, to let the empty bed slide out of the box and reveal the unspoken truth. There was no corpse undergoing the first stages of rigor mortis  inside, it was empty as if it had never been touched before. The inhabitant of that cabinet was standing right next to them, and Molly doesn't know whether she wants to throw up or run away.

No one had opened that cabinet ever since she died, the locks were set in place and the keys had been where she had left them, inside her desk, the one she always locks before going home. The cameras showed no one opening it from the outside, or her opening it from the inside.

Silence engulfed the room, and the static coming from the scenes being replayed were the only sound surrounding them. The violent lights of the morgue slightly flickered,and if Molly listened closed enough she can hear the sound of the flies tapping against the light bulbs mingling with Annabelle's shallow breathing.

Out of the corner of her eyes, she saw the way they looked at each other. It was brief and unspoken, her brown eyes were a concoction of panic and fear, and they clash with his calculating and cold blue irises.

They said nothing to each other, but something weighed itself against Molly's stomach when he took her fingers in his and squeezed it with reassurance.

Molly pretended to busy herself with something else, letting them share their private moment. Molly doesn't know what was going on, what they shared and what they meant to one another.

Here she was thinking that ghosts can't hurt her, maybe she's wrong.

Despite her heartache, Molly can't help but feel uneasy as she watched Annabelle. There was no denying that there was something, very, very wrong about this encounter.

When Annabelle Lee took her hands in hers for a thank you,Molly had to stifle a gasp at how cold they were.

MOLLY HOOPER sometimes thinks DEAD IS BETTER, this was one of those times.