xiii.EPILOGUE

It was on THE THIRTY FIRST OF DECEMBER did SHERLOCK HOLMES had to send Annabel Lee to the doorstep of 221B in farewell

She told him that she needed to leave the party early, despite the celebration erupting inside the once lonely flat. Molly Hooper's squeals of joy could be heard from the door, her laughter infectiously bright as it pulled in DI Lestrade to join in.

They were on their third glass of beer and playing twister, to which Sherlock described as 'unruly' and 'chaotic' despite his secret fondness of watching people stumble around upon it. Mrs. Hudson nearly dragged Annabel back inside, begging her to stay, yet she apologized profusely, promising that it won't take long.

" Promise you'll come back, love ?" The old woman smiled hopefully.

She glanced at Sherlock, who was playfully eying her to say yes and not break his land lady's heart.

" I promise."

Yet Sherlock knew a lie when he heard one.

" I suppose this is goodbye then?"

His words were low enough to avoid the ears of the guests inside, yet loud enough for her to hear. She gave him a guilty smile as if she knew that the detective would know, afterall, nothing ever gets past him.

" You know goodbyes never really exist," She chuckled.

There was a sadness in her voice, one that she tries to conceal with her forced laughter. Sherlock knew that trait all too well, after spending a year with her he was bound to be well acquainted with her quirks.

Annabel Lee was a myriad of expressions, filled with human emotions, ones that he did not even know existed. The idea of never seeing her again worried him more than he liked, yet he knew that she was not going back. He knew that this was indeed a goodbye.

She had to leave, they both knew that.As if some mythical force was beckoning her, compelling her to drift away from her new and prosperous life.

She was wearing a periwinkle blue dress that stopped by the top of her knees, the fabric flowing around her gently. A small golden necklace resting above the modest cut of her cleavage. She gave him a reassuring smile, her lips shimmering under the lipgloss Molly had given her.

" I'll miss you, Sherlock," She whispered.

With that she leaned on her tiptoes to give him a haste kiss on the cheek, the contact was brief, yet the sensation nearly burnt his skin.

" Will you miss me? "

Her question lingered in the air and Sherlock didn't have the strength to reply to her, because everyone's afraid of the truth. Even Sherlock.

With that, she turned to her heels and down the staircase, without so much of looking back. Although a part of him, deep down, wished she had. Yet, Sherlock knew that wishful thinking is just a form of weakness. It's human sentiment and he should not dwell on it.

There are times where he hears the faint echo of her laughter by the walls of his apartment and suddenly the place feels lonelier than intended.

It was on the FIRST OF JANUARY when Annabel Lee didn't return and Sherlock Holmes finally realized that THEY LOVED WITH A LOVE THAT WAS MORE THAN LOVE, him and his ANNABEL LEE.

That's a wrap everyone , Thank you for those who have supported this short story and much thanks to the Sherlock fandom for your support , I hope I do Sherlock justice and I know it's a bit ooc, but trust me, it was not my intention because he was...

That's a wrap everyone , Thank you for those who have supported this short story and much thanks to the Sherlock fandom for your support , I hope I do Sherlock justice and I know it's a bit ooc, but trust me, it was not my intention because he was such a complex character to write but I loved the challenge ! I know this story is so vague and borderline makes no sense , but it was a joy to write and I hope you can interpret it in different ways !
Click on my profile if you're interested to read my other fan fictions

Love,