CHAPTER NINETEEN

ALMOST A YEAR AGO

Eleanor was content. She felt this way for the first time in what felt like a while. Although she was happy with her life and where she was, she was never really able to describe it as content up until now, when she sat with her wife in her arms on the couch as they watched some shitty Netflix movie.

Using the word "wife" to describe Dinah still felt so fresh and it was. Eleanor had been using it as often she could or she'd even just slip into conversations. Like the other day, she was having a discussion with the guy taking her order in the coffee shop and was ordering drinks for both her and Dinah. When the guy asked for names for the cups, she just had to say "That is one for me, Eleanor and the other one is for my wife Dinah" and although the barista carried on with his day like normal, Eleanor could not wipe the smug grin off her face.

And even Willa seemed to be in a good place right now which was helped with her content feeling. In a matter of weeks, Willa would be getting married to Max Emerson. Eleanor had never really liked Max (she gave off a vibe) but Willa was happy with her and that was all that mattered. Max's bachelorette party tonight was the second of the two parties and when that was over, it made the whole wedding thing feel so real. It was actually happening. Willa Thacker was going to be a married woman.

Eleanor's thought process was interrupted by a nudge in the stomach by Dinah. "El baby, there's someone at the door. Can you go get it?"

"Why can't you go get it?" Eleanor asked as she shifted out of her comfortable position on the couch.

Dinah grinned at her wife. "Our cuddling was going to be ruined one way or the other but at least I still get to stay comfortable on the couch."

Eleanor shook her head with a smile. She really just couldn't get over how insanely lucky she was to have met someone so amazing as Dinah and to be now able to call her her wife.

She made her way to the door with the smile still attached to her face but once she opened it up and saw the sight in front of her, it dropped instantly. "Willa? What're you doing here? Did something happen? What's wrong?"

"Sh-she left me, El." Through sniffles, Willa was able to get out a coherent sentence. "She's left with another wo-woman." Giving into the emotions that had already cracked through, Willa threw herself at Eleanor for a hug, who accepted it as she desired to comfort her best friend in her time of need.

Eleanor wanted so badly to say that she knew this would happen, that she had told her time and time again that Max was bad for her and that it wasn't going to end well. But she didn't. This was not the time for lectures on bad choices and falling too hard for the bad girl. Willa knew that her deepest flaw was falling too hard and too quickly for the wrong people and although she claimed that she had learned her lesson before, she kept dating the wrong people. The type of people who weren't worthy of dating the amazing, the kind and the brilliant Willa Bellamy Thacker.

This however felt different to all the other heartbreaks, especially as they stood on the top step of the staircase to Eleanor and Dinah's townhouse apartment holding onto each other as Willa sobbed on Eleanor's shoulder. This was the first time that Willa had shown up at a late hour of the night. Maybe this would be the worst heartbreak of Willa's life and this would be the one to smack some sense into her so she could go after the right girl for her.

But none of that mattered right now.

All that mattered is that Willa was a friend in need and Eleanor was willing to help so she simply let Willa go, took hold of her hand and lead her inside the apartment. And when Dinah perkily asked who was at the door, she was met with a somber look from her wife and Willa's teary eyed face. Dinah didn't say anything else as she went into the kitchen for what Eleanor only assumed was alcohol, coffee or comfort food (turns out it was all three). Willa got herself settled on the couch and when Eleanor sat beside her, wrapping an arm over her shoulder, the tears burst out again as she leaned on her best friend's shoulder.