Chapter 7: Two Loves

Caroline's P.O.V
"Sorry I didn't realise this was Klaus-territory but my best friend was almost killed here so I'll be on my way."
Before I can leave Klaus moves at preternatural speed to come towards me even more than he already is:
"Nice to see you too, I'm here to see whatever that vampire was that ambushed Elena, guess we had the same agenda."
"Tell your brother I said thank you for saving Elena, but I feel uncomfortable with him chauffeuring her around and diverting her from her brothers birthday."
"Oh sure thing. However why don't we focus on the topic at hand; us."
I roll my eyes in disbelief and widen my lips as I stare at him looking at me as though I am an immortalised piece of his beloved art:
"Yeah, look we've been through this Klaus, you asked for my confession and I gave it to you and the deal was you never come back!" I say as he turns his head to the side and looks puzzled.
"Well, how was I to know that the wicked witch of the west was to cast a curse upon us that I would have a reason to come back here to Elena; who has seemingly lost Stefan and Damon, little witch Bonnie and most of all you Caroline why else would I have come back?" I feel like he has touched me with his words more than before that I can in no way reply.
Our distance becomes even smaller as he steps toward me until we are directly face to face, my whole arm trickles with goosebumps as though I am ice cold and he is the flame that ignites inside me and melts me whole. Our lips are close, the gap begins to close as he moves his lips towards mine, I feel as though the light is shining bright upon me, but before our lips press together I place my fingers on top of his mouth:
"I'm not ready for this, not yet." I whisper softly.
He backs away from my hand and his face turns to a mad stare as he says:
"Do you want me to leave?" he asks.
"No." I reply. "It's just that since Tyler and I ended I just couldn't bear to think of someone like that anymore."
"I understand." He replies.
"Any way I'm tired I'm going back to college, to go to bed so I guess I'll see you and your family around."
After I have stopped speaking he gives no reply, I walk off into the distance and turn to see he is gone. I can't help but keep him in my mind; I can't think of anything else but him.
*****
Elena's P.O.V
The dishes are done, I finish tidying and putting away what's left of the cake and the party food as Jeremy walks up to me whilst drying a snowy white plate, hd sets it down and stares at me whilst I'm scrubbing the sink but I can't concentrate from the annoyance of his constant judgemental expression fixated completely on me:
"I know you're mad Jer." I blurt out towards him.
"You went out to the woods when you were supposed to be here and you almost got yourself killed, I almost lost my sister." He retorts.
"Well I'm here now!" I yell at him.
"Look Jer I couldn't help it ok? I just wanted to be reminded that a part of Stefan and Damon are still with me, but instead all I get is 'move on Elena, move on!' fine I'll try but I don't need you or Bonnie, Caroline, Matt or Tyler to judge me or babysit me." I retort back at him with water gushing at my eyes.
Jeremy turns and walks away, I race towards him and grab his wrist as he pulls away:
"I'm going to bed." He says as though our argument has never happened.
He's gone, the tears begin to fall and I go back into the living room wiping away the tears as I stumble upon the box with the photo album that I brought for Jeremy has inside, I open up the box and lift out the album for a moment I stare at the front cover before I open it up and explore my past; the first few pages contain pictures of me when I was a little girl with Jeremy, Bonnie, Caroline, Matt and Tyler, our years from kindergarten to college. Further along I find the pictures of Stefan and Damon with me and all of us that I start to imagine sitting right here with me sparking a smile upon my face. At last I have reached the very end of the album and the last picture; June 22nd, the day I was born I see my mom and dad holding me and smiling brightly, I take the photo out and see some writing in the back which reads:
'Elena Gilbert, our daughter our greatest gift.'
I hear a knock at the door that my heart thuds and I step up and stride towards the door thinking its Caroline, she must've wanted to come check on me maybe stay the night but when I open the door I am rather surprised; it's Elijah.
"I couldn't help myself, I had to make sure you were all right."
"Well I'm grateful, thank you for looking out for me." I say standing right between us; we are only a few inches apart, deep inside I feel the urge to invite him inside but Jeremy would want it to be just us for tonight.
"Elena, I won't leave unless you want me to, I'll stay out here for the night and keep you, Jeremy and the house safe from anything that may want to attack."
I step outside and place my hand on his left cheek, I feel safe and happy around him that all of my worries begin to fade away as he touches my hand with his I feel his warmth spread around me, he moves my hand from his face and moves himself closer to me that our chests meet and he inches his face towards me to kiss me gently on the forehead, 'I have to kiss him' I think to myself, I lean in to make our lips meet until Elijah groans like he's in agony and falls to his knees, I see a witch standing behind him; it's her 'Cassia' I gasp and edge towards Elijah cradling his head in my arms as I yell 'Stop!'
All of a sudden she is gone, did I imagine her? or was she really just there? It must've been her; I recognised the long dark black hair and purple dress that she wore when I encountered her before.
"Elijah." I say softly.
Elijah stands up and holds my head tight against his as he runs his hand through my long dark brown hair.
"Are you ok?" he says.
"I'm fine, what about you?" I reply.
"I'll be fine, but who was that?" he asks.
"It was her or it was for at least s few seconds." I say.
"I though she was gone but you were right, she is still alive and she is still attacking us, I can't..." I stop speaking as he holds me tight and whispers:
"I'm here Elena, as long as I'm here I won't let anyone hurt you, I promise."
I take his hand in mine and walk back to the house as the seal causes us to break apart:
"Come in." I say in a calm manner.
Elijah smiles gladly and steps inside towards me and he takes my hand and follows me to my bedroom until we come to the door, before I can say goodnight Elijah presses his finger to my lips:
"Close your eyes." He tells me.
My eyes close and I feel my body lift as though I'm floating but I can feel his chest against my side, I smile and keep my eyes closed as he lays me down into the soft mattress and draws the covers over me as though he is ticking me in at night like my father used to do for me.
"Thank you." I say with a wide smile in my face.
"Sleep tight." I hear him whisper into my ear.
I open my eyes and see him walking towards the door.
"Elijah." I call to him.
He turns round to face me.
"Will you stay with me?" I ask him.
He walks over to me and kneels down by the edge to be closer to my face.
"Of course." He says.
"I'll stay for as long as you want."
With everything feeling perfect I close my eyes and fall asleep.