Chapter 23: Elena's Choice Part 2

Elena's P.O.V
I kneel before the unconscious Salvatore brothers, just as I did when they died. With them back they'll have a lot of time to adjust to what has changed and what is going to change: I won't be here, they will have to know life without me.

Matt, Jeremy and Tyler gather around the three of us, I look at Stefan and Damon's faces and I kiss them both.

"Take them to the cars." I ask them.

They nod in agreement and pick them up and make their way in the direction of our parked vehicles.
When they are gone I feel Elijah's presence from behind me, I turn and hug him dearly.

"Elena, when you return home you'll find something that I left for you, a letter."

"I'll be back, I promise."
*****
Matt's P.O.V
I'm back at the Mystic Grill, it's closed for a few weeks, I finish tidying up and putting away until I hear change being dropped on the table.
Rebekah looks at me with a smile.

"One beer please."

"The place is closed, but I suppose I could make an exception."
I set a glass of beer out in front of her and pull one out for myself, our glasses clink together.

"Cheers." I say

"Cheers." She replies.

"So you need a lift home?" Rebekah asks me.

"Sure." I reply.

When I've finished locking up Rebekah drives up in front of me and I get into the car happily.

"Look Rebekah, ever since you came here I've always just wanted to tell you.... I love you." I pause after speaking and she just looks at me speechless.

Not a word comes riding off the tip of our tongues for the duration of the drive, when we finally arrive at the Salvatore boarding house I get out of the car, Rebekah remains seated, was I moving a bit fast for her?
"Matt!" Rebekah calls out frantically.

I turn to face her, she looks at me with sympathy and as though she's been abandoned. When she is midway towards me I realise instantly what she's about to do: I walk up to her and kiss her, desperate for her to know how I feel about her, she kisses me back, confirming her feelings for me.
As our lips part the front door opens, Caroline stands at the entrance: bags drawn out behind her.

"Hey Care."

"Matt, Rebekah, it's great to see you."

We both enter the house, Caroline closes the door behind.

"What's with all the bags?" Rebekah asks her.

"I'm leaving, Klaus and I are meeting in a few hours." Caroline answers.

I am quite shocked to hear what she says, but am glad that she has a plan for what she's doing; I have no clue what I'm doing.

"Elena, Jeremy, Bonnie and Tyler are all in the living room." Caroline explains.

"Thanks, you off?" I ask.

"No. I guess I can say a few more goodbyes before i go." Caroline says.

The three of us enter the living room where we see drinks and party food set out across the table, Elena, Jeremy, Bonnie and Tyler are sitting on the couch, Tyler has a bag set out in front of him too.
"Ty, hey are you going somewhere?"
"Yeah, uh I'm just gonna go see where I end up, maybe go running with wolf packs across the country."
"Sounds great." I reply.
"Hey Matt, why don't you join us all." Jeremy invites us.
We all sit down and toast:
"To new beginnings!" we all say.
*****
Tyler's P.O.V
After a couple of drinks, snacks and some heart-warming goodbyes I grab my bag and get ready to leave.
"Tyler." Caroline calls to me from behind.