Chapter 1

"Thank you... again, Danse. This means a lot to me." Nora kept her eyes on the wall just in front of her as she spoke, not wanting the former Paladin to see her shame. This would be difficult for both of them but she swallowed her pride for his safety's sake and urged him to do the same.

"I don't like it," Danse admitted, eyes also forward. "But if I ever want an opportunity to help the Commonwealth as a free man— as a free... Freely," he decided on, finally, "then this is my only chance." He adjusted the zipper on his brown leather jacket and cracked his neck.

Nora reached for the metal plate on the wall and spun it to spell out 'RAILROAD.' After a moment, the wall before them opened and revealed only darkness. She looked up to her much-taller companion with worried brows. He gave her the slightest of smiles, if only to reassure her he would have her back despite what lie inside. She moved in and he followed cautiously.

Bright lights filled the chamber, their switches echoing in the brick room. Three figures stood on a raised platform across from Nora and Danse. On the left was a woman with white hair and a beautiful face. Her angry eyes pierced into Danse, but he refused to meet them. A minigun rested on her hip. On the right stood a nervous-looking man in a patched blue coat. He held a pistol with both hands. In the center was another woman, with short red hair and no gun. Her stance commanded attention.

As she spoke, she over-emphasized each phrase with severity. "What. The fuck. Do you want?"

Nora had to take a moment to breathe and consider her words carefully. "We're—"

"We know exactly who you are. Give me a reason not to have you shot in the next 5 seconds."

Nora's eyes flitted across the room in panic. "I— we— we're looking for the Railroad for rehabilitation."

"For whom?"

"For me." Danse's deep voice was powerful as ever, but a glint of embarrassment could be found in it. "I'm a synth."

"Bullshit," barked the minigun wielder.

The woman in the center waved a cool hand to calm her associate. "You're with the Brotherhood," she said to the companions.

"We were," Nora said. "Then we found out..." She looked and motioned to Danse. "Things are difficult now."

"I see." The woman considered this for a long moment, her arms crossed and a hand on her chin. Nora knew what she must be thinking. She knew what sort of opportunity this presented for the Railroad. Two persons with extensive knowledge of the Brotherhood and the Prydwen stood asking for help. Nora might be malleable, having come to learn the truth about synths and their human condition and capacity. Danse, on the other hand, regarded the Brotherhood highly and still sought to do right by them, if by any means than taking his own life, which Nora's constant, exhausting vigilance prevented.

The woman opened her mouth to speak until a figure caught her eye. A man approached her from behind, wearing tight jeans, a white tee-shirt, and dark-framed sunglasses. His pompadour reflected his lively personality. "Hey, Dez, sorry I'm late to the party. The store was out of guac so I just brought salsa." The woman rolled her eyes in impatience. "You seem to be doing fine without me though," he continued to her chagrin. "Looks like they didn't even bring guns."

"You know how dangerous these individuals are, Deacon, especially to us. Try to stay focused here. They say this one's a synth." She pointed at Danse. She could have belayed the pronoun and mentioned Danse by name, however, as everyone present knew who he was, and Nora for that matter.

"Well," the one called Deacon began, "they ain't wrong."

"Really?" Dez asked. Nora thought the question was spoken a bit casually, as if Dez wouldn't care what answer Deacon gave her.

"Saw the whole thing myself. Elder Maxson kicked their asses right out. Didn't shoot them though, so that was thoughtful."

"You saw the whole thing?" Nora questioned.

"You should have seen him," the woman with the minigun chuckled. "Ghillie suit and green paint all over his face. Saw him get ready before heading to Listening Post Bravo."

"Surprised I got all the makeup off." He met her smile before it faded back to a frown but his remained.

"How could you possibly have known we'd be there?" Nora asked.

"How did Maxson know?" he riposted.

Of that, she was unsure. Deacon had somehow managed to figure out the rendezvous point, possibly from shadowing Danse's group and overhearing them discuss it. That would mean he had been watching them since before the Prydwen had even arrived. Surely, Nora considered, if the Railroad found out their natural enemy had come to town, they would have someone monitoring their activity closely. She decided this must be what happened but she hardly cared. He was only verifying the facts they needed to get aid from the Railroad and she appreciated it.

Danse had worked out this same thought. Imagining someone listening on the other side of doors or watching through a sniper scope made him furious but his cool demeanor prevented his face from showing it any more than it usually did. Disappointment, too, in himself and his team, writhed inside him for not having noticed someone tailing them.

"Can you help us or not?" Danse's deep voice bounced against the stone walls of the catacombs.

"Why should we?" Dez asked.

"If I'm ever spotted by a member of the Brotherhood, I will be shot on sight. My only sanctuary is the listening post— and this godforsaken tomb."

"And," Nora said timidly, desperate for anything that may gain the Railroad's help, "we have a common enemy. The Institute has something I want."

"You were one of our enemies not a day ago," Dez replied.

"C'mon, Dez, they're a great shot. We could use some more firepower on our side."

"I'm not even asking you to help me take down the Institute," Nora said. "You help Danse, and I'm yours. But as for him, after he's back on his feet, he walks— with no one following him." She glared at Deacon who put his hands up in a fake surrender.

Dez looked from Nora to Danse to Deacon, the latter of whom met her with a cheesy grin. She sighed and said, "Welcome to the Railroad HQ."