Your Fault

Warning: Endgame Spoilers, literally takes place like a week after Endgame with a few things changed

[A/N: basically me channeling all my anger at Steve because i came to some realizations lately. the only differences in this are Tony is alive, Steve never stayed in the past, and Professor Hulk never existed, it's still just Bruce]

     The Avengers, what was left of them anyways, were sitting around a table. They were supposed to be doing "team bonding" but nobody had said anything.

     Half of them had barely spoken to eachother since what they were calling The Second Snap. They had all banded together as a team, every single one of them from the Guardians—who left immediately after—to the Avengers.

     Tony had been about to snap his fingers, expecting to die, when he felt someone grab his other hand. He snapped anyways, and realized that it hurt a lot less than he thought it would. That was, of course, for a reason. Looking to either side of him, he saw that everyone had formed a circle; they were holding hands, sharing the power of the infinity stones between each of them.

     And they had all survived that with minimal injuries. They were just very tired and all slept for an unhealthy amount of time before going about life as usual.

     Which meant that sooner or later, the team was gonna have to come together. They wanted it for various reasons. Protecting the Earth, it's what Natasha would've wanted, etcetera.

     "Why are we here?" Steve asked eventually, breaking the silence.

     Peter, sitting at Tony's side, chimed in with, "I- we- we're supposed to be doing, like, something to build the team! Like Pictionary, or Truth Or Dare, or Kiss, Marry, Kill! Those aren't good examples, but- but we could do them!"

     The table fell silent again, and a few minutes passed.

     "So... What's everyone's favourite colour?" Peter asked. Nobody answered.

     "Okay, let's- let's start uh, over there at the far end of the table! Wanda, what's your favourite colour?" He asked again, this time more directly at someone in the hopes it would work better.

    Wanda stayed silent, barely paying attention. Understandable, considering the circumstances.

    "Okay! Uh, Mr. Winter Soldier, sir, what's your favourite colour?" He tried, hoping Bucky would cooperate.

    "Probably blue, since it reminds me of Steve." He looked at Steve, smiling. Nobody noticed, but Tony rolled his eyes.

    "Amazing. Mr. Captain Rogers, what's your favourite colour?"
    "Probably... Well, I would say blue, but Bucky already picked blue, so maybe red. It reminds me of the 40's and simpler times."
    "Wow, Mr. Rogers, that's... That's really nice!"
    "Thanks, kid."

    They went around the table some more, everyone either saying their favourite colours or being uncooperative. Sam actually told Peter to fuck off.

    When it was about to be Clint's turn, Tony stood up.

    "Y'know what? I'd like to play Truth Or Dare. I pick Truth. Steve, this was all your fault," he accused, and Peter gave him that "what are you doing" look.

     "What do you mean it was all my fault?! I did what I thought was best, and we won! We're all here, right now! We did it!" Steve argued back, sitting up straight in his chair. Clint, Wanda, and Bruce glanced at him skeptically.

     "'We're all here'? No. Don't try that shit with me. Lives were- lives were lost, Steve. Those people should be here," Tony pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration, "but they're not. Because your policy of not trading lives apparently only applies when it lets you be the best."

     "That's enough, Tony," Rhodey urged, hoping Tony would listen and drop the subject. Obviously, he wouldn't, even if everyone was growing more and more uncomfortable with this topic.

     Steve took a few moments to think of what to say next. He actually seemed stumped. How was he supposed to argue with someone telling him that it was his fault trillions of people died temporarily and at least thousands died permanently?

     "It's terrible that Nat isn't here, but... she chose to sacrifice herself. It was necessary," he eventually replied, his tone somber and soft. He didn't look up to see the way everyone was staring at him.

     "Vision chose to sacrifice himself. You wouldn't let him. We could've destroyed the stone and then figured out how to bring him back," Bruce joined the argument. Wanda looked up from the floor at the mention of Vision, taking the time to consider what Bruce had just said.

     "I wasn't going to let someone die if they didn't need to," Steve said, starting to get annoyed. Why couldn't they understand that this wasn't what was meant to happen?

     "That's not the reason. You never cared when it was me sacrificing myself," Tony added.

     "Because you volunteered to do it!"
     "So did Vision! He was willing to die to save all of humanity and you wouldn't let him make that choice. It wasn't your call."
      "Wanda would've been crushed if I let him do it."

     Everyone went dead silent.

     Steve seemed to realize his huge mistake, because he slowly turned to face Wanda. She was perfectly still, but you could see the rage in her eyes.

     "I would've been crushed?! If you had let him sacrifice himself, we could've fucking fixed him," she started, her voice loud and echoing off the walls, "I wouldn't have had to destroy the stone and then watch as Thanos reversed time and ripped it out of Vision's head."

     "Okay, um, e-everyone just calm down, let's- let's not do this during team bonding," Peter stammered, wincing from how loud she was yelling. Tony put a hand on Peter's shoulder, sensing his anxiety.

     "Maybe we should reschedule this," Bucky suggested. Most people murmured in grateful agreement. The group dispersed, heading in their own directions and leaving Steve sitting there at the table by himself.

     Maybe it was his fault.

     Yeah. It definitely was.

[A/N: i'm super bitter about this,,, can you tell i love Vision and Tony more than anyone else]