Chapter 7: My Wonderful Brother

A/n: For the purpose of this book Antonio has never been to SVU and the SVU cast is Benson, Rollins, Carisi and Fin.

"You two coming?" Cass asked, sticking her head around the break room door.

"Where are we going?" Jay asked, putting his coffee down and leaving Antonio stood in the break room.

"Crime scene over on 23rd." Cass said. 

"Antonio mentioned you never went to his place last night." Jay said as he drove away from the precinct and towards the crime scene.

"Yeah, I made up with Ryan." Cass stated. "It was only a stupid argument." She added with a shrug.

----------

"Cassie!" A voice called as Jay and Cass got out of their car at the crime scene.

"I'll catch you up in a sec." Cass said, walking towards the man who had shouted her whilst Jay ducked under the crime scene tape. "Hey babe, what are you doing here?" She asked, standing directly in front of her fiance.

"I work in there." Ryan said, gesturing to a random building behind him. "Saw the cop cars and came out." He explained.

"So you didn't see anything?" She asked.

"No, sorry Detective." Ryan said in a slightly mocking tone.

"I should get going." Cass said, gesturing to the crime scene.

"Aw is little Cassie afraid to be seen with me?" Ryan mocked.

"No, I'm at work. Shouldn't you be?" She half shouted in his face, Cass watched the anger flood his face and expected him to lash out despite being in public, surrounded by cops.

"Hey Cass." Antonio said, gently placing his hand on Cass's shoulder from behind and despite it being gentle she still jumped slightly at the touch. 

"Where's Jay?" She asked, turning to look at Antonio but keeping Ryan in her view.

"We're swapping partners for a bit, Voight wants to see us at the precinct." Antonio explained.

"I'll see you later." Cass said, placing a quick kiss on Ryans lips. 

"Ryan right?" Antonio said. "Antonio Dawson, it's nice to finally meet you." He said, offering his hand out for the other man to shake.

"It's nice to finally meet someone who Cassie works with." Ryan said, shaking it.

----------

"You wanted to see us Sarge?" Antonio said, walking through Voights already open door.

"I'm sending the pair of you to New York for a few days to help SVU out on that human trafficking case from a few weeks back. I figured you two would be the best fit as Mason already knows everyone and your CI got us the case." Voight explained.

"I thought we shut that ring down?" Cass asked.

"So did I but it turns out they just relocated to New York." Voight said. "Your plane leaves in an hour." Voight said.

"What about your kids?" Cass asked as they gathered their stuff from their desks.

"Its Laura's week anyway." Antonio said. "What about Ryan?" He asked.

"He'll be fine." She lied.

"So, you want me to pick you up on the way to the airport?" Antonio said as they headed to their cars.

"Yeah, I'll text you my address." Cass said.

----------

"Oh, look who couldn't stay away." Fin teased as he saw Cass walking into SVU.

"Maybe I would be able to stay away if you guys could close a case without me." Cass shot back as she hugged Fin.

"It's good to have you back." Rollins said, embracing the detective.

"I'll second that." Carisi said, wrapping his arms around Cass.

"It's nice to be back." Cass said with a smile. "This is my partner from Chicago, Detective Antonio Dawson." She introduced. After a while, the conversation died down and everyone got to work. A few minutes later Fin got up and went to the break room and Antonio followed him, shutting the door behind them.

"So you used to be her partner?" Antonio asked.

"Yeah, six years." Fin answered.

"What's the deal with Ryan?" Antonio asked.

"I can't tell you a lot but just know he's bad news and she is better off without him." Fin said.

"So no one liked him?" Antonio asked.

"Pfft." Fin said. "Understatement of the century. Just be there for her when she needs you."

----------

The next day they had brought their suspect in for questioning, Fin and Antonio were interrogating him whilst Cass, Rollins and Carisi were stood behind the one-way mirror.

"Cass." Carisi said, catching sight of a familiar face heading towards them with Benson.

"Ty." Cass said, turning to see her older brother walking towards them.

"Cassandra." He acknowledged her. 

"He your client?" Carisi asked bluntly.

"He is, and I would like a moment alone with my client." Tyler said, allowing Rollins to open the door for him.

"Can I help you?" Antonio asked when he walked in like he owned the place.

"Tyler Mason, I'd like a minute alone with my client thank you." Tyler said, holding the door open for the two detectives to leave.

"Who's the douchey lawyer?" Antonio asked.

"That is my wonderful brother." Cass said sarcastically.

"I was starting to wonder where he'd disappeared off to, he hasn't been 'round here in a while." Fin said.

"Probably had a rich client." Cass said. "You know he gets tunnel vision whenever someone waves a wad of cash in front of his face." She added.