Chapter 6: Being an Idiot

"At least take the day off tomorrow." Jay said, they were now sat at his kitchen island, a bottle of beer each. He was still trying to get her to let Will take a look at her clearly injured form, she was wincing with every movement, holding her ribs and favouring her right side.

"I've told you a billion times already, I'm fine." Cass said. 

"Cass..." Jay started before being cut off by Cass as she stood up.

"You're just not gonna leave it are you?" She said, a hint of annoyance lacing her tone.

"You're obviously in pain..." Jay tried to protest.

"I'm going." Cass cut him off, grabbing her bag from the floor as she headed for the door.

"Where are you going to go?" Jay asked. "Home?" Cass turned and glared at him before leaving. Cass walked out of his apartment building, ignoring the pain that radiated through her tiny body with every step. Eventually, it got too much and Cass dropped onto a bench that was on the sidewalk.

"Hey." A voice said as a figure sat on the bench next to her.

"Hey." Cass raised her head to meet the eyes of the person. "Jay called you?" She said, running a hand through her dark hair that was flowing loose around her shoulders.

"Yeah, he said something about him being an idiot." Antonio said with a smile.

"He said that?" Cass said, clearly not believing him.

"Not in those words, he was pushing you to see Will and you left?" Antonio said.

"If you're gonna try and get me to see a doctor then you may as well leave now." Cass said.

"I'm not, I promise. I've got a spare bed that will be comfier than this bench if you want it? No doctor, just a place to crash." Antonio offered.

"Are you sure? I thought you had kids?" Cass said.

"They're with their mother." Antonio said, standing up and helping Cass to her feet.

----------

"Ry, you in here?" Cass called as she let herself into their apartment. She had stayed the night at Antonio's last night then went to work, there had been several concerned glances sent in her direction but no one actually said anything. Jay and Antonio had both volunteered to come with her to her apartment to grab a few bags of stuff but she had turned them both down saying she needed to do it alone.

"I'm in here babe." Ryan's voice came from the kitchen.

"Hey." Cass said, rounding the corner and seeing a vase of fresh roses on the counter and Ryan cooking.

"I missed you this morning." Ryan said, resting the wooden spoon on the counter so he could walk over to Cass and wrap his arms around her.

"What are you making?" Cass asked, laying her head on his shoulder as her arms wrapped around his torso.

"Spaghetti." Ryan said.

"Making Spaghetti for the quarter Italian, bit risky." Cass joked.

"I like risks." Ryan said, placing a kiss on Cass's neck.

"What like the risk of your food burning?" Cass asked as one of the pans began to bubble.

"Shit." Ryan said, half running half walking back to the pans. "How was work?" Ryan asked.

"Pretty boring." Cass said, taking a seat at the breakfast bar. 

"How can chasing bad guys be boring?" Ryan asked.

"It's the paperwork. You rugby tackled a guy when he was running from the police, three pages of paperwork. You fire a single bullet, twenty pages." Cass said.

"Twenty pages?" Ryan asked, clearly shocked as he raised his eyebrows.

"Okay, that might be an exaggeration. But it sure as hell feels like it." Cass said with a smirk.

"You wouldn't cope with my job then." Ryan teased, "Twenty pages is half a days work."

"Ugh." Cass said. "I couldn't sit at a desk all day, I would go crazy."

"Good job you've not got a desk job, otherwise who would I ask for cooking advice?" Ryan asked, Cass chuckled before standing up and standing behind her fiance, wrapping her arms around him and looking over his shoulder.

"I'd say the sauce only needs a couple more minutes." Cass said before picking up a fork that he had left on the side and taking a piece of pasta from the pan, blowing on it a few times to cool it then placing it in her mouth.

"What's the verdict?" Ryan asked, spinning to face her.

"Pretty nice, I'd take it off now so it doesn't overcook." She said, Ryan did a fist pump causing a smirk to spread across her face.

"See I told you I liked to take risks." Ryan said, placing a kiss on her lips. "Because they almost always pay off." He said.

"Pasta." Cass said as the water the pasta was in began to boil.

"Crap." Ryan said, spinning back round. "I really should just leave it to you." He commented.

"You've done pretty well." Cass said. "But I think it could just be a one-off thing." She joked.

"It's good to see you have so much faith in me." Ryan teased.

"Always." Cass said sarcastically.

----------

"Jay." Antonio called, gesturing to the break room. "Did Cass go to yours last night?"

"I thought she was going to yours?" Jay asked in reply.

"So did I." Antonio said, looking back into the main room in the unit and seeing Cass coming up the stairs.

"There she is." Jay said.

"She looks better if anything, so let's just leave it." Antonio said.

"Copy." Jay said with a nod.