Chapter two

Without even thinking, she ran over and hugged Jesse, relieved that she had found him again after six years apart. But why did he have a crutch? Why a newsie? She had so many questions, but she'd have to wait for the others to leave, as she didn't want to blow his cover as Crutchie.
"How old are you now?" He whispered into her hair so the others couldn't hear him.
"Seventeen. And yes, I still have the vile, before you ask. But I still haven't drank any of it."
"God I'm happy to see you" he whispered, beaming from ear to ear.

"Erm, you guys know each other or somethin?" Davey asked awkwardly, surprised at their reactions.
"Yeh" jack piped in, "Crutchie why didn't ya tell us ya got a girl?" At first he pretended to be angry, only to dissolve in laughter 5 seconds later.
"Um, Jack, Davey, this is Winnie Foster. We were friends when we were younger." Jesse answered shakily ; Winnie wondered if any of the others knew.
"How young?" Jack asked, still in a state of confusion.
"I was eleven," we began, before correcting herself quickly, "we both were. You know, eleven".
Well that was a lie. Jesse was seventeen, on the outside at least, really he was 102, now 108, but as he couldn't age no one could tell.

"Ah, so ya knew Crutchie pre crutch, if ya ain't seen each other in that long!" Jack said, leaning back against the wall confidently.
"Yes, actually, I meant to ask, Je- Crutchie, what happened to your leg?"
Winnie knew that it was impossible for Jesse to get hurt, so it must have been fake. How many years had he been dragging his leg behind him for without any real reason?
"Oh," Jesse began, looking down at his limp, "I got ran over by a wagon and it crushed my leg two years ago."
"Did it hurt?" Winnie asked, suppressing her amusement.
"Oh yeh, it was killing me for weeks" he replied, trying not to laugh- Jesse couldn't feel any physical pain.

Confused, Davey interrupted their conversation, drawing his attention back to the matter at hand.
"Look, Snyder can track us down easy, any time he wants. We need to be more careful, Crutchie, I don't want you to get caught out. Ya know that limp can hold you back, please just call out to us next time you start slowing down."
"Hey, I ain't needing no help walkin," Jesse said, as though slightly offended, "that's what this dumb sticks for, no one's gonna carry me nowhere!"

Winnie admired how easily Jesse had managed to soak up the new York accent, and laughed to herself about his new voice, allowing him to blend in effortlessly. It was rich and oily, and though it felt welcoming and friendly, she missed hearing him speak normally, like Jesse.

"Anyways," Jack started, "let's go see Medda, sounds like she's done." In all the excitement, Winnie had even forgotten the reason she was here - to visit her aunt! The four of them walked towards the stage door, Jesse and Winnie trailing a little behind.
"I can't believe you're here, it's been so long. I wasn't sure if I'd ever see you again," Jesse whispered, slipping back into his old voice just for a second, much to Winnie's delight, "what brings you too New York?" he asked.
"I'm visiting my aunt Medda," she replied "I've never actually met her though".
"No way! Medda's your aunt? Wow, it's a small world after all," he gasped.
"Now of all people, I wouldn't expect you to say it's a small world!" Winnie joked. After all, after being alive for 108 years, Jesse had traveled everywhere- the pyramids, the Brooklyn bridge, the Rio Grande, everywhere!
"True true. After you," He beamed, holding the door open for her with his spare hand.
"Why thank you, good sir" she gestured, bowing extravagantly before slipping through.

"Winnie, baby girl, get over here and give your aunt Medda a hug!" Medda's voice was rich and bouncy, oozing in warmth and joviality, a bubbly contrast to her mothers rigid tone. Aunt Medda was on a completely different scale to her mother all together. She was draped in a lavish, plumb coloured gown, matched with heels higher than the sky itself, jewels were displayed across her neck, and arms and ears, thirsty for light so they could sparkle effortlessly. But it was her smile, her homely, velvety smile spread from ear it ear, that secured the love and trust Winnie had for this woman instantly, as she greeted her in a warm embrace.

"Goodness child, the last time I saw you, I could fit you in the palm of my hand like the little cupcake you were! But you ain't no cupcake now, you're, what's the word I'm looking for? Glowing! Why, gentlemen, ain't she the most radiant young lady you ever did lay eyes on?"
Winnie's cheeks burned with embarrassment as she turned to the boys, blushing suddenly.
"She's quite nice" Davey muttered quietly, reluctant to make eye contact.
"Beautiful!" Jack beamed, laughing at his friends awkwardness.
Winnie turned to Jesse, who was just smiling at her fondly, for some reason she was excited to here what he had to say.
"She perfect," he smiled, ignoring jack in hysterics beside him.

"See child, you've been here three seconds and aunt Medda's already found you three new boyfriends!" Medda clapped her hands enthusiastically as Winnie laughed nervously.
"Nah Medda, ya know I got eyes on Katherine, and Davey's gonna die alone in a pile of papes," jack laughed, loving the situation, "it's Crutchie ya need to watch out for though, that boy's trouble, I'm tellin ya!"
"Hey, what ya sayin bout me?" Jesse laughed, hitting his friend with his crutch, "you don't gotta be insultin! I'm perfectly respectable."

"Settle down boys, can't have you scaring off our guest," Medda turned her attention back to Winnie, "so child, your mother tells me you like singing, hey, ever had an audience before? Cos there's a stage right here!" She motioned to the stage, sending a mixture of anxiety and excitement running through Winnie's spine. She didn't even think her mother had realised her love of music