Chapter10

It had been a whole week since Winnie had arrived in New York, and in that time she had explored virtually every part of the city, usually being shown around by Jesse, though sometimes the other newsies were eager to give her a tour now and then. No one seemed to mind her any more at least, and she had been finally been accepted as one of them.

"Hey, Specs," she asked, interrupting his description of Brooklyn Bridge, "when can I meet Katherine? From what you guys have all said she sounds really nice, and, don't take this the wrong way, but I'd love some more female company."

"Wait, you haven't met Kath yet?" He sounded shocked, "we thought you must have met ages ago! I'll tell jack and he'll arrange something."

With that they carried on strolling down the bridge, Specs pointing out various landmarks, however Winnie wasn't really paying much attention. She was excited about having another girl to talk to.

"Hellooo, earth to Winnie"
Winnie hadn't realised she had zoned out so much and instantly felt guilty.

"I'm so sorry, I missed that, what were you saying?"
"Nothing important, I was just wondering how things were going with you and Crutchie. Every thing going good?" He asked.

"Oh," she began. This was the first time one of the boys had asked about their relationship with actual interest rather than just poking fun at them and making dirty jokes, "everything's great, thanks!"
It had been more than great, in fact, it was amazing. Every day, she would either help him sell papers, or meet him after work, and every second they spent together she spent smiling. Jesse actually appreciated her, something she wasn't used to at home, and never failed to make her laugh. In fact, things were better than amazing, things were perfect. She was excited to live with him forever, literally.

"Good good" Specs replied, smiling. He had witnessed a great change in Crutchie's mood since her arrival. Though Crutchie lived with a smile on his face, always desperate to shine with positivity, Specs, like many of the boys, had noticed how after returning from the refuge, his optimism seemed somewhat forced, as if he was just pretending to be happy all the time. That was until Winnie entered the scene, and his enthusiasm for life no longer seemed fake. Crutchie had finally gone back to being Crutchie again, maybe even better.

Hours past, and Specs returned with Winnie to the lodging house to meet the other boys. Luckily, it seemed she didn't have to ask jack to meet Katherine, as for the first time since Winnie's arrival, a beautiful, dark haired girl sat in the corner of the room laughing, playing cards with Jack, Romeo, Race and Jesse. As soon as Jesse saw Winnie, he grabbed his crutch and went over to meet her, welcoming her in a hug.
"Come on, I'll introduce you to Katherine, we were just talking about you, actually" he smiled, directing her to the card game.
"All good, I hope." She said, making her way over to the table to join the others.

"Hey, you must be Winnie!"
Katherine stretched out her hand to greet her, a friendly smile spread across her face. She had chocolate brown eyes, and long, glossy hair. She wore a lilac blouse with a flowing, burgundy skirt, clearly made by an expensive designer. Unlike the rest of the boys, she was clean and proper, clearly coming from a wealthy family, however that didn't stop her from blending in with the others with regards to her character.

"Yes, it's nice to meet you!" Winnie smiled, shaking her hand politely.

"Hey, Kath, it's ya go!" Race interrupted, eager to win the game.
"Hey, let the ladies speak" Jack said, nudging his friend in the ribs.
"Ya any good at cards, Winnie? Ise can't be bothered to finish, ya can take over if ya like," Romeo offered, jumping out his seat and walking to Henry and Buttons. Jesse and Winnie both took a place at the table to carry on the game of 'go fish' - Romeo, unsurprisingly, was loosing drastically, hence quitting the game.

"So, Je- Crutchie to told me that you're a reporter. Is that true? Are they actually letting girls be reporters now?" Winnie was amazed when Jesse had told her about Katherine's work, excited by the thought that she too could have an exciting career.
"Only just" Katherine admitted, "they only respect me because of my dad. But the games changing, I'm certain that loads of girls will be able to do 'men's work', I mean, if anything we're smarter any way" she joked, causing jack to punch her lightly in the arm.
"Hey, wese ain't all brainless" he laughed.
"To be fair" Jesse pointed out, "yesterday you asked how to spell newspaper, so I think Katherine has a point." Jack went quiet, his face turning red.

"You have no idea how nice it is to have a girl to talk to" Katherine continued, "the guys are nice and all, but there's some stuff that boys will just never understand, things that they'll never go through" she laughed, as the two girls just gave each other a knowing look.

"Huh?" Race was clueless. By the looks of it, so were Jack and Jesse, causing the girls to laugh even harder. After a few seconds, Jesse's face suddenly turned red as he realised what they meant, eyes filled with embarrassment.
"Crutchie, do you know what they're on about?" Jack asked.
"Ummm, I think so" he replied quickly, as he too started laughing. Not one of them wanted to explain what a period was to the oblivious pair.
"Crutchie, how the hell do you know what we're talking about?" Katherine said in absolute hysterics. All three of them couldn't stop laughing.
"I've been around a long time, I've  just been told things, but I didn't know that they were real! They sound awful!" Jesse replied, barely able to breath he was laughing so much. Race and Jack still had no idea what they were talking about.
"Oh trust me, they are!" Winnie agreed.
"Is anybody gonna tell me what 'they' is?" Race asked, desperate to know what was so funny.
"Go on Crutchie, I want to hear you try to explain it!" Katherine said.
"Why me? You guys know more about it!"
"Come on, Crutchie, please!" Jack begged.
"Okay fine..." Jesse reluctantly agreed, before doing his best to explain what a period was to Jack and Race who listened in absolute horror as Winnie and Katherine cried with laughter.
"You've described it pretty spot on!" Winnie laughed, tears streaming down her face.
"What the hell, I is scarred now!" Race exclaimed mortified, jack nodding violently in agreement.
"Oh, you're scarred, imaging having to go through it every month!" Winnie said.
"Well, I have a new respect for you girls now!" Jack said, still red in the face.
"Ain't that the truth" Jesse agreed, looking over at Winnie and laughing with her. She could imagine Mae giving him 'the talk' over a century ago, considering she would expect her sons to be prepared for things like that in their never ending lives. She could imagine him and Miles wearing the same shocked expressions as Race and Jack as they sat in their cabin, begging for their mother to stop talking, and she could imagine Mae slapping them around the ears every time they asked to leave.
"Well, you learn something new every day" Race sighed, before they carried on playing their card game, each of them smiling more than before.