Chapter 20

"Newsies! Get a move on! Them papes ain't gonna sell themselves!"

The entire lodging house groaned as Jack called out to the other boys, officially starting the day. For the last twenty minutes, Jesse had been explaining the plan to him, that he and Winnie would leave while the other boys were working. Jack would have to run to Medda's quickly to borrow a different coat and hat so that Jesse could partially disguise himself so the boys wouldn't instantly recognise him walking to the station. It was also Jack's job to tell the newsies that Katherine had dropped off the crutch while they were working, so he could leave half way through the day. The rest of it was down to Jesse and Winnie. All they had to do was make it to the station while avoiding the other newsies, which would be a challenge considering they were every where.

"Hey, Specs, pass me the towel!"

"That's my cigar!"

"Who took my hat?"

"Jack, Tommy Boy snatched the sponge again, make him give it back!"

Jack turned to Jesse and rolled his eyes as the boys began to filter into the room, each of them ready with a complaint. No matter how long he had been their leader, he was never mentally prepared for the morning stress.

"Fellas, play nicely, I ain't got time for this, I gotta go, Crutchie's in charge while I'm out." With that, he ran out the door towards the theatre to get the clothes, thankful for an excuse to leave. Jesse groaned as the swarm of boys continued to bicker. How hard was it to just get dressed in the morning?

"Fellas! I ain't feelin great, so quiet down."
This worked great, considering all the boys still felt extremely sorry for Jesse after Pulitzer had broken his crutch, and were always willing to help their disabled friend, even if he didn't need it. They instantly shut up and quickly got ready for the day.

As a knocking came from the door, Race ran over to answer it, only to find Winnie stood on the doorstep.

"Oh, Hey, I've come to see Crutchie," she said.

"Sure, come on in, wese gonna be gone soon. FELLAS, they's a lady in the house so make sure ya  decent!"

He lead Winnie through the door towards the kitchen where most of the chaos had collected. She had to spend a good thirty seconds examining the room just to find Jesse within the sea of newsies - at that point he was collapsed into a chair, absorbed by the gradually growing noise around him.

"Fellas, the circulation gate will open soon, get outta that door and sell them papes!" He called, spotting Winnie across the room.

After about ten minutes, the room had finally cleared, allowing Jesse to finally stand up and welcome the peace and quiet.

"How are you feeling?" Winnie asked, though it was clear he was stressing beyond belief, anxious with the thought of getting caught on the way to the station.

"Fine" he lied - it was easier to give short, simple answers than talk to much, or else he feared he would over think the situation and back out all together.

"Hmm, not very convincing," Winnie sighed, as her stomach too was twisting in knots. They had to pull this off - if they got caught, Jesse may never be able to return to New York again, we'll, not for a long time anyway. They couldn't risk the other newsies discovering his secret.

The silence was interrupted by jack running back into the room, arms filled with jackets and hats - he had even gone to the extent of bringing a wig for Winnie. Her long, auburn locks were soon to be replaced with blonde curls, hopefully enough to help them go unnoticed by the newsies. All they had to do was make it to the train, and after that, they would be in the clear.

"How's we gonna stop the newsies from tryna sell to us?" Jesse asked, terrified of being caught.

"Easy" Jack beamed, throwing two fresh newspapers on the table, "if ya reading these, they won't bother, and they's easier to hide behind too".

He had a point. Why would a newsie waste their time trying to sell a paper to someone who already has one?

Jesse's breathing quickened with nervousness as he began to put on the various layers of clothing Jack had supplied for him.

I have to do this, I'm being stupid, this will be fine. Do it for Miles, you have no choice. Miles is depending on you...

All he could focus on was the image of Miles  terrified for his life knowing that people were searching for him and he had almost (hopefully almost, anyway) revealed the family's deepest secret. He had to do it for Miles.

Miles had always been the rock of the family. He had the ability to simply radiate common sense and order where ever he went, and was constantly aware of his surroundings. To Jesse,  Miles was his filter - nearly every choice Jesse made ran through him, allowing Miles to catch his brother in times of carelessness and trouble. He was always the one with the right decisions, and always had a level head in times of trouble. But, now the coin had been flipped, and Jesse was channelling all of his strength into painting a plastic mask of false confidence over himself, as for the first time, Miles depended on him.