Chapter 2: Falling Snow

Sub zero looked out the window of her room, the events of what happened yesterday still replaying in her head.

No matter how hard she tried to ignore it, it just kept bothering her for reasons unknown.

She boringly watched the miniature ice fall outside, coating the already thick blankets of snow. A clicking sound could be heard as someone opened the door to her quarters. The intruder was revealed to be her sister; Kuai Liang, better known as Tundra. Her sister bowed before her.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Sub zero asked, gaze still locked to her window. Tundra bowed once more before speaking. "Sister, the other assassins of the clan and I have noticed that you have been a little distant lately."

Sub zero swivelled her head towards her sister and narrowed her cold, unnerving white eyes. "What do you mean by that?" She asked, venom present in her voice. Tundra took a breath. It was slightly scaring her, the way that her older sister reacted to a simple question. But nonetheless, she quickly answered. "Please let me rephrase that. I mean you seem to be distracted as of late, dear sister." She replied. Sub zeros gaze did not tear away from Kuai Liang for a second, but it softened. A little bit at least.

She thought for a second before her stare returned to the falling snow flakes outside. Tundra looked at her sister with interest. Usually nothing could bother her older sister; Sub zero, and if something or someone was bothering her she'd either destroy them, it was one of her assassins she'd put them through intense and vigorous training regime, or start rambling bad things about it until it wasn't a bother anymore.

At first glance, anybody would think this was just a normal situation where the grandmaster was annoyed or angry, but Tundra had known Sub zero her whole life, she could tell when something was on her mind.

And now was one of those times. Though she had to admit, just seeing her sister casually admiring the snow fall was not something she did.

With Sub zero, it was either training, governing the clan and sorting out paperwork, training the other assassins, looking for someone to fight or cursing the already dead 'Shria Ryu' clan.

Well, almost dead. The last member of the clan; Scorpion, was still around. But he was just a hell spawn, an undead spectre, one of Quan chi's creations. Technically, he was already dead.

Tundra continued to watch her sisters strange behaviour. She simply could not think of any thing that could be troubling the grandmaster.

"Sister, do you want to tell me what's bothering you." Tundra questioned, the worry present in her voice. Sub zero tore her haze from the window once more to look Tundra dead in the eyes. "Tundra, you of all people should know that nothing can 'bother' me, I do not need your consoling when there is nothing to be spoken about."

Sub zero gave a huff before moving to her desk that sat next to her bed. Her room was quite large and spacious. Though there weren't many things located in said room. Just a bed, desk, draw and bookshelf. Sub zero grabbed the knife sharpener that sat on top of the desk, and began to sharpen one of her many daggers. Tundra sighed and turned to leave the room, but was stopped by her sister calling her name.

Tundra faced her sister, wondering why she had halted her exit. Sub zero looked at Kuai Liang from the corner of her eye, still sharpening the knife as if she was not even looking.

"Meet me in my office at 8:00pm sharp. Do not be late, tardiness will not be tolerated."

Tundra smiled at her older sisters normal behaviour returning. She nodded before bowing once more, then she was gone.

Sub zero stopped her sharpening action and dropped her dagger on the hardwood of the desk. She let out a long exhale before returning to her previous position next to the glass in the wall. The tingling feeling in her chest was still present, from when Scorpion spared her, up till now. She placed a hand over where her heart lay. Truth be told, she did feel different from before, and her younger sisters declaration confirmed it.

She sat up from her spot and stretched her limbs. "Maybe talking with my sister will do me good." She thought.

Once finished with her stretching, she paced off to the training dojo.

"Maybe some training will occupy my mind for now." Sub zero walked off into the halls of her clans great temple. Her thoughts still plagued by Scorpion and yesterday's events.

(Please read the 'notes' chapter if you want to to make a character and feature them in this story, I might only pick four though.)

Word count: 806

Published: 15 May 2019, 5:49pm