Chapter 5: Everybody Comes Home

"Did we get them all?" Steve asked once everyone arrived back in the machine. "You telling me this'll actually work?" Rocket asked as everyone raises the stones, but I noticed that Clint looked distraught and that Natasha was not next to him. "Clint, where's Nat?" Bruce asked him, but Clint doesn't answer.

Instead, he looks up at us and we could tell that he was extremely sad and upset. Then realization hits us as Bruce punched the floor and falls to his knees while we all stood in silence for a fallen friend.

Steve, Bruce, Thor, Clint and I were standing out on the dock by the lake as we were trying to recover from the news. "Do we know if she had family?" I asked Steve. "Yeah. Us." Steve replied and Thor makes a noise. "What? I just asked him a question..." I said to him, slightly annoyed. "Yeah, you're acting like she's dead. Why are we acting like she's dead? We have the stones, right? As long as we have the stones, Cap, we can bring her back, isn't that right? So stop this shit. We're the Avengers, get it together." Thor said.

"We can't get her back." Clint said to him. "Wha-what?" Thor asked. "It can't be undone. It can't." Clint replied and Thor starts to chuckle. "I'm sorry. No offense, but you're a very earthly being. Okay? We're talking about space magic. And can't seems very definitive don't you think?" He said. "Look, I know that I'm way outside my paygrade here. But she still isn't here, is she?" Clint said, angrily. 

"No, that's my point." Thor said but Clint yells. "It can't be undone! Or that's at least what the great floating guy had to say. Maybe you wanna go talk to him? Okay? Go grab your hammer, and you go fly and you talk to him!"

The others and I stare at Clint as he looks down at the floor then said. "It was supposed to be me. She sacrificed her life for that damned stone. She bet her life on it."

Bruce grabs a bench and throws it in the water as he let's out a yell of anger. He takes a few deep breathes as he looks over at the rest of you. "She's not coming back." Bruce said, sadly. "We have to make it worth it. We have to." He continues and Steve looks over at him and nods. "We will." Steve said, firmly.

Hours later, I was able to build a gauntlet to hold all six Infinity stones and Rocket and I placed the stones in the gauntlet. "BOOM!" Rocket exclaims and I jumped in fright then looked over at the raccoon, who was laughing his ass off. I shake my head and roll my eyes as we take the gauntlet out and bring it to the others.

"Alright. The glove’s ready. Question is, who’s going to snap their freaking fingers?" Rhodey asked as all of us were standing in a room. "I’ll do it." Thor said as he steps up.

"Excuse me?" I said, confused. "It’s okay." Thor said as he walks over to the gauntlet but I stop him. "No, no, no, no. Stop. Stop. Slow down." I said to him. "Thor, just wait. We haven’t decided who’s going to put that on yet." Steve said to him.

"I’m sorry. What were you just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Thor asked. "We should at least discuss it." Scott said, assuredly.

"Look, us sitting here staring at that thing is not going to bring everybody back. I’m the strongest Avenger, okay? So this responsibility falls upon me. It’s my duty." Thor said as he looks around at us.
"Normally, yes. It’s not about that." I said. "It’s not that...it’s...stop it! Just let me. Just let me do it. Just let me do something good. Something right." Thor begs as he tries to grab the gauntlet but I keep him away from it.

"No, it’s not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I’m telling you, you’re in no condition." I said to him.

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Thor asked me. "Cheez Whiz?" Rhodey asked. "Lightning." Thor stated. "Lightning won’t help you, pal. It’s got to be me." Bruce said as he looks at the gauntlet. You and the others look over at Bruce with worry before he speaks again. "You saw what those stones did to Thanos. It almost killed him. None of you could survive."